Some help with an assignment, please? ^^ (1 Viewer)

HSC
Heya all ^^

Yet again back with another assignment asking for help XD Sorry to be a pain ^^ But need help =3

Ok, so assignment...

'The law reflects changing community values and attitudes' Discuss with relation to rights and duties and evaluate the effectiveness of the law in this manner, including cases, media articles and current up-to-date Acts to support answer.

So, I'm currently doing mine on different family arrangements like single-parents, de facto and same-sex relationships... Probably manily will focus on same-sex. But because my whole class is doing same-sex I decided to briefly add in the others lol

I'm currently finishing up the main part of it at the moment, which I'll probably post some of to get some help. But my main problem is including the articles and cases, etc. >_>

So, can someone help me out on this factor? I always have trouble backing up my info with articles and current Acts

Please help yet again :confused: XD lol

Thankies in advanced =D

Update -

Some of my assign atm... Any suggestions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A family is ‘two or more persons living in the same household… related to each other by blood, marriage (including de facto marriage), fostering or adoption.’
- The Australian Bureau of Statistics

Conducted in 1996, the Australian Bureau of Statistics undertook a census of Population and Housing, surveying the structure of the Australian family in order for the legal definition to be altered, adapting modernistic values to the current legal perspective.
The traditional idolization of marriage and family is far less common then it was 30 years ago. Statistics over the years have shown now varying concept to the tradition as now people are less likely to marry through changed lifestyles and commitments, never marrying or instead deciding to marry at a later date. Children too, are also being left to a later time, as couples are deciding to have less or no children at all.
These changes are effected through altering times, effected by various factors including economical, where it is suggested the situation of economic values affect marriage and birth rates, recent recession towards the community for example, are suggested to be linked to low birth rates and decreasing marriages as the common couple are finding themselves in economical distress and thus disregarding marriage and children in their lifestyle.
With rising transformations to technology such as the wide availability and reliability of contraception and abortion allows couples the control and decision of when they are likely to start having children as well as how many they desire to have, adapting the family concept around their own lifestyle. Social factors have also altered recent statistics, as more and more women continue to choose to engage in the workforce and continue their careers through escalating equality, deciding to postpone the idea of marriage and children as many consider following career paths instead.

As evident in the legal definition and varying factors, over the years, Australia has adopted various family arrangements ranging from single-parent families, de facto relationships and same-sex relationships. As well as varied cultural arrangements such as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) families and polygamous marriages, yet although these cultural arrangements are evident within Australia, the law cannot accept and thus withholds restrictions on these lifestyles, for example ATSI marriages do not meet the requirements under the Marriage Act, 1961 (Cwlth) due to ATSI customary law’s nature such as the marriageable age being under the regular 18, instead 12 or 13 and duress. Yet although unrecognized, members of commission have favored a ‘half-way’ approach, accepting traditional marriages for specific purposes such as adoption, custody and maintenance.
Polygamous marriages are also unrecognized under the Marriage Act due to, again, its nature. Although normal and acceptable in various culture, the Australia law does not acknowledge polygamous marriages due to it not meeting requirements and not abiding by the legal definition of marriage as ‘the union of a man and a woman voluntarily entered into for life to the exclusion of all others’ (defined by the case of Hyde v Hyde and Woodmansee, 1866), instead polygamous reflects the practice of having more than one spouse at the same time. Australian laws instead will only accept the first marriage under law while disregarding the subsequent marriages as void under the Marriage Act, 1967. Yet will still provide legal relief such as spousal maintenance and property settlements towards other spouses under the Family Law Act, 1975, which was altered following the case of ‘Khan v. Khan, 1963’ where a wife petitioned for divorce and sought for custody, maintenance and cost, with the petition being dismissed, following the legal definition of marriage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Erm, also question, using the family definition of the Australian Bureau, erm... was it from 1992 or 1996? ... I got two text books with both saying different o_O lol XD

Last edited:
HSC
With De Facto ... there used to be the de facto relationships act

but it was later amended to the property ( relationships ) amendment act and this act allowed for same sex couples to distribute property, but also for de facto couples to claim maintenance from their ex spouses... heh hope that helped ^^"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)