• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Some Helpful Advice? (1 Viewer)

DADGER

HSC
Hi all,
I'm currently in year 11 taking the following subjects:
- 3 unit English
- 3 unit Maths
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Legal Studies
I want to do Medicine at university. I am struggling to decide what subjects to take for year 12 in order to ensure I achieve an ATAR of 95+. I've been told that ideally I should be taking Advanced English, 4 unit Maths, Chemistry and Physics, however, I'm not entirely sure that would be best for me. My physics teacher is awful, I do not enjoy class with him and he also has poor teaching techniques. We have never had a Band 6 Physics student at our school and he has been the Head of Physics ever since my school was established. But the other day we had a substitute and for the first time I actually really enjoyed class and was interested. Should I keep physics and just try my best by self-learning and getting a tutor? Would it be best?
With 4 unit maths I would be the only one in my year taking it. I enjoy maths, but unfortunately my extension results so far have not been up to my regular standard. I am looking at getting a tutor and putting in a lot of effort for the yearly exam coming up so I can show my teacher that I am capable. Do you think this is wise? Or would I be safer taking other subjects?
I only want to do 10 units for year 12, but all my teachers are saying that they want me to keep my current subjects. Especially for legal, I'm currently 1/16 and my teacher believes that I can achieve a high band 6 next year. But what am I best-off taking? If you were in my situation, what would you do in order to have the best chance of getting into Med?

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Do the subjects you enjoy. It will maximise your atar :D

im personally dropping legal

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
If you enjoy a subject, do it! I was considering dropping one of my subjects because I had a terrible teacher, but my friends convinced me against it.

Do 4 unit maths. If you don't like it, drop it later. I'm in the same position as you, not sure if I should do it or not, but I figured that if I don't do it, I will regret it (I can feel it!!), so just try it out :)

Jinks

HSC
First and foremost do the subjects that are pre-requisit for med (I'm assuming it's the same in NSW). Secondly do what you will enjoy as it makes it so much easier to put the many hours into subjects you don't mind doing opposed to ones you hate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)