some nuclear chem help :/ (1 Viewer)

Maddy1012

HSC
what are some advantages or alpha and beta particles and gamma rays?

help asap please :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Alpha particles can be used for checking thickness of non-biological materials.

Beta particles can be used for medical treatment for cancer (not Alpha, because they are larger and more dangerous).

Gamma radiation can be used for medical diagnosis.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
f3nr15 said:
Alpha particles can be used for checking thickness of non-biological materials.

Beta particles can be used for medical treatment for cancer (not Alpha, because they are larger and more dangerous).

Gamma radiation can be used for medical diagnosis.
:| There goes 3 marks on my Chemistry trial.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hmmm I-131 is a beta emitter, and is used to threat thyroid cancer (IIRC)

morganforrest

HSC
Alpha is extremely ionising and isn't used so much as it is fairly non-penetrating

Beta is used for treatment as it is partially ionising

Gamma is used for diagnosis and any type of imaging work

mzduxx2006

HSC
Maddy1012 said:
what are some advantages or alpha and beta particles and gamma rays?

help asap please :)
basically from my knowledge.

alpha particles have a short penetration ability. and half an extremely short half life lasting for only a few microseconds. they cant penetrate many things and therefore are absorbed by the simplest of objects such as paper and cardboard. alpha particles are often used to reduce unstable nuclear substances that are above uraniam such as transuranic elements. often transuranic elements will undergo alpha and beta decay in order to become stable again.

beta particles have a slighlty longer penetration ability but still cannot pass dense objects such as steel and concrete. beta decay relies on electron bombardment to stabalise a radioactive isotope and is often used in assistance with alpha decay in order to make unstable elements stable.

gamma radiation has a high frequency and can penetrate virtually anything ranging from concrete to steel to glass etc. it is used in chemotherapy radiation treatment for cancer patients and is highly unstable. often gamma rays are used because of their ability NOT to be absorbed into various substances.

This is all that came to my head as i sit here at my computer desk without notes. i think i included all relevent info but i dont think im 100% right. Goodluck anyways.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Alpha particles = little penetration, but extremely ionising and therefore really dangerous. Used for things like thickness measurement and smoke detectors.

Beta particles = a little more penetration, less ionising than alpha. Not really sure what they're used for, but they are used in medical treatment.

Gamma radiation = electromagnetic radiation, really penetrating. The most useful type of radiation for medical diagnosis as it can be detected outside the body without causing much damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)