• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

some questions on superconductivity (1 Viewer)

bally24

HSC
hey guys, i was just doing my physics notes and have two questions:
i understand how the maglev train works, but i was trying to find some limitations of it apart from cost of cooling the superconductors all the time. please tell me if there are some more.
secondly ive read in heaps of places that Onnes just cooled some mercury then noticed it had no resistance but do any of you have some more detailed information on how he tested the resistance and carried out the experiment?

also what is meant by current research into superconductivity...is this just superconducting wires?

oh btw i don't do chem...so when my teacher says 'list the chemical formula' of an element, is that just Pb for lead, O for oxygen etc from periodic table?

thanks a lot! :)

Byron is bored

HSC
for ur first question i would also add to the limitations the enormous amount of electrical power needed by the train, how to overcome the high air resistance when at fast speeds and for the EMS sytem (if u need to write about that) the instability between the varying distances of the magnets and the guidway.

I dont have much info myself on onnes but current research into superconductivity also includes things like developing more uses for superconductors and attempting to apply those as well as trying to find out how type 2 supercondutors work.

those are the chemical formulas for the elements but some superconducting compouds such as Yttrium Barium Copper Oxide will have longer formulas

hope that helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)