Some ways to 'exploit' the transfer systems (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
This may not apply to all unis, but it will apply to most. Hypothetically, you wish to transfer from B Commerce to B Super Mega 100,000 a year Commerce or equivelant.
Your UAI: 94
Required NRSL index for wanted degree: 96.0 - most unis use the NRSL (non recent school leaver) index for the cutoffs. These are attained at most by averaging your uni grade selection rank and your UAI.

After completing 1 year of study, you get a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 6.0 (D avg). Alas, using frigid's awesome link
your selection rank is 96, and since your uai is 94 that gives you a NRSL index of 95.0 :( Oh noes. You lose. You needed 96.0
All, however is not lost. You can take a gamble and do next year hoping to pull up your marks with a 6.30 GPA. You take all the prereqs of the higher up course making your transfer as smooth as possible. BUT what if you fail again and get, lets say 6.0 again. SO you finish 2nd year not being closer to your dream course. Alas, all is not lost. Take the third year.
You go into third year. Make sure you take all the higher up courses prereqs so that you can still complete that degree pretty much in an extra year (works best with 4 year courses but just as well with others). After you complete 3rd year, chances are that you don't get your degree: hell you dont want it as you won't be able to carry over units that you already completed.
Why is this good for you? Well. Attempting 3 years of uni allows you to attain 2 extra NRSL index marks! A 6.0 GPA gets you 98NRSL index and allows you to get into that elusive course. Yay. All rejoice.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
and it takes 3 years COOL!
but youd be doing the same subjects as you would in the deg you're transferring to.
Say (hypothetically) that you're doing B science paying 10,000k starting salary after you graduate. You can transfer into B anal sex paying 20,000k starting after you graduate and better employment: this will alow you to get into the latter and will only take 1 extra year to complete. Maybe even an extra part-time semester if you play your cards right.
If it's a 5 or 4 year degree youre transferring to, then itll take exactly the same amount of time.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That is one of the worst ways to gain marks haha

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol but one im content on using if a transfer fails this year :p or the next. perfect for what i'm aiming to get.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, good luck mate, you could try and get into Macquarie and internal transfer from a BA whilst doing the core units for B Comm.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
HAHHAHA maquarie? more like maqueerie.
No, I love USYD.
What i'm trying to do is transfer from B Eco Soc Sci to B Commerce (Liberal Studies).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, hey if it wasnt for us hippies, there'd be no bars in any unis!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
1. Isnt that assuming that you maintain that GPA? Considering you are getting into 3rd year units its a pretty big gamble.

2. I thought the NRSL index cut off changes on a yearly basis depending on the standard of people that apply?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
acmilan:
1) Yes. However the gpa you need is lowered significantly after attempting 3 years. There's also usually a dumbed down degree you could transfer to if you fail to maintain your gpa.
2) Yes. Also correct, although it tends to remain fairly constant for higher end subjects (just like the Uai's)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It'd only really work with degrees (such as yours I assume) with no real compulsory units (ie if you were in a B Maths and you wanted B English, you cant just take all english units with no maths units)

X

xeuyrawp

1Time4thePpl said:
HAHHAHA maquarie? more like maqueerie.
No, I love USYD.
What i'm trying to do is transfer from B Eco Soc Sci to B Commerce (Liberal Studies).
You come from sydney and you're calling Macquarie queer? Have you seen our queer community? It's like a few emos, and 5 random asians.

When you walk into sydney uni, you get abused for being straight, and get hit over the head with some shirtless camp guy wearing a tshirt saying "I accept your heterosexuality" with a sign that says "straight=bad".

:p

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
Say (hypothetically) that you're doing B science paying 10,000k starting salary after you graduate. You can transfer into B anal sex paying 20,000k starting after you graduate and better employment
10,000k hmm I would love that.

Coming out of a science degree you'll be lucky to actually get paid.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
PwarYuex said:
You come from sydney and you're calling Macquarie queer? Have you seen our queer community? It's like a few emos, and 5 random asians.

When you walk into sydney uni, you get abused for being straight, and get hit over the head with some shirtless camp guy wearing a tshirt saying "I accept your heterosexuality" with a sign that says "straight=bad".

:p
no. i was merely making a pun on maquarie. you cant make syd-queer-ney into a pun. it just doesn't work.

X

xeuyrawp

1Time4thePpl said:
no. i was merely making a pun on maquarie. you cant make syd-queer-ney into a pun. it just doesn't work.
Yeah, club mac has lots of funny names...

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Minai said:
It'd only really work with degrees (such as yours I assume) with no real compulsory units (ie if you were in a B Maths and you wanted B English, you cant just take all english units with no maths units)
My friend is doing a Bachelor of Computer Science (which has plenty of core subjects, I can assure you of that :( ), and is doing all Arts subjects. He wants to transfer into Arts. :)

PwarYuex said:
A shirtless camp bloke wearing a T-shirt saying "I accept your heterosexuality." eh? How is that possible? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)