• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Soo confused. (1 Viewer)

olegna

HSC
Hi!

Recently, I've been looking around on university websites at courses etc, looking up my options (I want to do film). However, I have found it VERY difficult to keep up with what I am looking for and reading about.

Could somebody with the time, please explain for me, & I'm sure, MANY others, the entire system of university courses. Eg. what the heck is postgraduate, graduate, bachelors, honors, degrees.. all that university mumbo-jumbo I find it hard to understand.

Who knows, maybe I'm just stupid, but I'd appreciate it if someone could take the time to explain all this university stuff.

Thanks!

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
olegna said:
Hi!

Recently, I've been looking around on university websites at courses etc, looking up my options (I want to do film). However, I have found it VERY difficult to keep up with what I am looking for and reading about.

Could somebody with the time, please explain for me, & I'm sure, MANY others, the entire system of university courses. Eg. what the heck is postgraduate, graduate, bachelors, honors, degrees.. all that university mumbo-jumbo I find it hard to understand.

Who knows, maybe I'm just stupid, but I'd appreciate it if someone could take the time to explain all this university stuff.

Thanks!
When you first go to uni, you'll be an 'undergraduate' student, studying and 'undergraduate degree', ie a bechelors degree. For example B. Engineering, B. Arts, B. Science. This will take you at least three years, then you graduate (get your degree (a certificate)). If you are good at whatever it is you're doing, you can apply to do an honours year (still part of your bachelor of whatever degree). This will add a year to most degrees, you do a big thesis project and get a certificate saying how smart you are.

Once you've got an undergrad degree, you can do a postgrad degree, eg Masters in Science, M. Eng, or a PhD (Doctor of philosophy - philosophy in the original sense of the word - Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values). For a masters, you do coursework for a few years. PhD is a research project, usually four years.

So now you know.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
And when you're done:

Throw it all in a put, mix it up and imagine you're an elephant...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)