Sources of DNA (help with questions!) (1 Viewer)

Aerlinn

HSC
I am having trouble with these questions, would anyone be able to help me with them?

-Why would a scientist choose to sequence mitochondrial DNA to study the evolution of the Great Apres rather than nuclear ribosomal genes?
-Why would a scientist use the ribosomal genes to study the evolution of all life from bacteria to humans?

They're questions from the 'Heinemann Biology 2, 4th edition, VCE units 3 & 4', if anyone happens to have that ;)
Help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanx in advance =)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Aerlinn said:
-Why would a scientist choose to sequence mitochondrial DNA to study the evolution of the Great Apres rather than nuclear ribosomal genes?
hmm, I'm not really a biochemist. But the use of mitochondrial DNA is useful to study maternal heredity, as all our mitochondria (and hence the genetic materials) came from our mother. Ribosomal genes are derived from both of our parents.

Aerlinn said:
-Why would a scientist use the ribosomal genes to study the evolution of all life from bacteria to humans?
- Ribosomes are found in all forms of life, from bacteria to humans. Without ribosomes, organisms cannot synthesise proteins. If scientists uses mitochondrial genes for instance, to study bacteria, they wouldn't be very successful because bacteria don't have mitochondria.

- And since ribosomes are so important, the sequences that encode for ribosomes are highly conserved and can be used to detect the presence of a particular organism, or to to use to analyse phylogenetic relationship between organisms.

I hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)