• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

sparta (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
what kind of things do you think they are most likely to have as essay questions?

so far they've asked about economy, social structure, 'military' way of life and religion. what other things do you think are likely to be asked?

in our trial we had questions on women and government

scary.. they really could go any way :/

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Meh, well, Sparta is just one of the simpler topics so it would not really matter all that much. I do not think they would ask anything controversial, just the standard ones. But this is the third year of the new syllabus, so they may start trying to increase the difficulty...

Leon585

HSC
i rekon question will be on how spartans combed their hair... ppl laughed at me when i suggested it in class... but they also laughed at hitler :|

mememe

I think Sparta's hard to do as an essay, but the short answer are pretty easy. Hmmm for an essay this year, they might ask one on the government, maybe Lycurgus... other than what they've already asked, there's not much left big enough to constitute an essay.

HSC
i reckon it'll be on the role of the agoge. my school must think so too they've made us do so much on it!

young_gurl

try thinking about what kinds of sources there are and what they talk about because the last question always makes u refer to a source....And that source could be talking about anything so ARGGH!

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
thing about Sparta is tho... everyone forgots all the cultural aspects of the society. There COULD be questions on the classical period that was initiated after the 2nd Messenian war... e.g. stuff on Tyrtaus etc etc..

but I'm thinking social/government or women.. We got women and social in our trial.. I think our teacher got that from the issued independant schools paper.

mememe

I hope it's not on the cultural aspects - does anyone know anything about art - pottery and sculpture? I hate that dot point.

For short answer, some possibilities might be
-Describe a festival
-Outline the role of apella/gerousia/ephoroi
-Funeral rites of the kings
-Death and burial
-Reforms of Lycurgus
-Rites of passage e.g. marriage

They are a few things that haven't been tested

apollo

i know the whole syllabus + sources (at long last) so i'm not worried ;p

just thought i'd have a bit of a brag.

i dont think the government as a whole will be in there - was done in 2001. the role of the ephorate/gerontes/apella might be though.

my picks for the big question;
lycurgus & the great rhetra...
festivals/religious sanctuaries...
helots (tho i'm uber unsure on that one)
agoge

and it's pretty unavoidable one of the tid bits will be in there - geographical features/food/poets/occupations/art... probably as one of the little 2 mark q's tho

mememe

i'd love to be in your position, i don't know much at all!

Yeah they did helots in 2001 plus there's not much to say so i hope that's not the big 10 mark question.

Religion/festivals is a big possibility. Lycurgus too cos he's never even been mentioned.

They wouldn't do a big one on art/poets/occupations etc would they?

apollo

i doubt it

occupations would be im-farkin-possible to write a large reponse to.

i can imagine "name two spartan poets" - they did the same for kings in 2002 or 2001, i've forgotten which year...

as for art... hrmm... its a scant possibility they could ask a 5 mark question on pottery or sculpture or architecture. i'd kill it to...

now i've just gotta revise pericles, revise the greek world 500 - 440... and learn more about the punic wars in romes wars of expansion 264-133... and i'm set :)

i think ill get laz to ban me... this place sucks up far too much of my study time

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
hey... someone else does Greek World 500-440.. I think its a pretty rockin subject that. I do Xerxes and Sparta aswell, so half of my greek world module is covered even before I do it:)

I'm really hoping for a why did the persians fail/greeks win 2nd persian war question..

sugared plum

HSC
I'm really hoping for a persian wars question PERIOD because that is the only dot point our teacher taught us.
Last week I did a totally mad 'learn the whole course in one day' but it was very stressful, and I don't think I have remembered much (if anything) from it.
So pray for Persian Wars question...PLEASE.
Haha, I wonder if my class will walk out of the exam if there isn't one. BAD BAD BAD

apollo

fuckin ay to the persian wars

for greece, i'll kill anything to do with the persian wars, greek leaders or the delian league. anything at all to do with any of em... i'm pretty well prepared :D

Bolkonski, i do sparta/pericles/greece 500-440! so I've got lotsa overlaps too...

good luck guys :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)