• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speaking Resources! (1 Viewer)

minxy07

HSC
Seeing as the continuers speaking exam for trials and HSC is about a month away, i was wondering if anyone had some really good resources for the speaking exam (other than practise questions)? maybe podcasts/other downloadable responses so that you can practise anytime easily or readymade written answers? we have a terrible teacher at our school who gives us no direction at all. also if anyone has any good techniques for studying for the oral exam it would be very much appreciated. thanks

P

pLuvia

Have you tried this site, it has some basic questions that could be asked for each of the covered topics. But what you should do is memorise some sentences which you can use in the popular questions. Ask you teacher for some generic questions on family, future plans, lifestyle, holiday etc, and write out 3 - 5 lines for each and remember them or change it a bit for each other related question.
But be sure that you don't contradict yourself with an answer to another question or the marker might be confused. But be aware that HSC markers can cut you off on answers to questions if you talk too long, as if you were giving a speech, but try to use as much vocabulary, senior structures in each answer

B35tY

HSC
He said "other than practice questions" as far as i know that site only has them for. For speaking anyway.

pLuvia's advice was good, i'd follow that if your unsure. Have you received from your teacher a thickish booklet with a pale yellow coloured cover? It says "possible speaking questions for HSC" or something like that. It's got about 28 topics full of questions you can be asked.

My Speaking Study involves reading the question (not really realistic, but what can i do) and saying an answer out loud. Keep in mind to use structures, vocab etc. Just practice that and ask other students about your answers. Try to collaborate useful terms/structures you have.

Practice makes perfect.

EDIT: I found this on the Board of studies website

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/speaking_skills_index.html

But couldn't find the full booklet. I hope your teacher has given it to you, because if not i dunno where you'll find it.

Last edited:

Oritsuro

HSC
There are standards packages available which give you an idea of a band 5/6, 3/4 and 1/2 conversation, though I'm not sure if they're on the BoS site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)