Special Consideration (1 Viewer)

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
hi.. im a year 12 student wanting to go to sydney uni next year but im not doing so well in my trials and assessments because of some things that came up during the time i had to study...
recently i found out there's this thing called the 'Special consideration for elite athletes/performers' for people who are involved in activities outside of school at state level or higher. im thinking of applying for it but i dont know anything about it so i was thinking if anyone who goes to syd uni would know anything about that scheme?? like, what happens to my marks by applying for this scheme?? is it like the other schemes where they just lower the UAI cut off for that course?

and yes, ive asked my careers counsellor at school but he said he doesnt know much about THAT scheme..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
moon_styla said:
hi.. im a year 12 student wanting to go to sydney uni next year but im not doing so well in my trials and assessments because of some things that came up during the time i had to study...
recently i found out there's this thing called the 'Special consideration for elite athletes/performers' for people who are involved in activities outside of school at state level or higher. im thinking of applying for it but i dont know anything about it so i was thinking if anyone who goes to syd uni would know anything about that scheme?? like, what happens to my marks by applying for this scheme?? is it like the other schemes where they just lower the UAI cut off for that course?

and yes, ive asked my careers counsellor at school but he said he doesnt know much about THAT scheme..
Try asking at open day.

Adam

HSC
I failed all of my trial exams, then went on to get a 85.10 UAI.

Stop trying to get around the problem and fix it!

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
thats the thing.. i cant do anything about it because im involved in something else and dont have time for study. thats why i wanted to apply for it.. thanks anyway

Lemar

I hope ive answered ur question

ive also applied for special consideration. the UAI cut off isnt lowered 4 that course. say the course u wanna get in2 is 88. if u achieve a UAI of 80 they look at ur special consideration form and decide if ur able to cope with the course. it all comes down to discretion. i can tell u that u should get within 10 UAI points of the cut off to be accepted in the course. just try ur best and stay positive. im sure ull get into sydney uni.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
There are also scholarships for sportsman at sydney uni that lower teh required uai, im not completely certain how one goes about applying for them, but i know someone who got a rugby union scholarship, which lowered his required uai by 5 pionts, and he also gets money......i suggest u contact the scholarship co ordinator at usyd and ask them about what sporta have this on offer ect....

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
On soccer fields, In KFC, At uni, At clubs, and in
HSC
N/A
hmm what is the flexible course how does that work? i mean they say we don;t have to apply for syd uni, so what the hell do they look at, do they give u an interview or something some 1 plz give me some advice :)

Winston

HSC
It's a flexible entry scheme, basically it's similar to the EAS scheme, there really isn't anything big to it, maybe if you missed off the cut off by a little, then they might be lenient on letting you in, however if that course you want to get in to is extremely popular i'm pretty sure there's like a certain percentage of places offered for this flexible entry scheme, or maybe they won't even offer it for a flexible entry scheme, for example if you wanted to do law or something and you miss out by 1 or 2 UAI difference, however they probably are only offering 10 places for this entry scheme, and you'd have to compete with other entrants in this scheme, so if you were Person A, and you attained 98 and Person B attained 99, and the cut-off for the course was 99.6, then obviously Person B would be favoured.

But honestly, like you said dude, you don't have time to study, then why bother even going to uni? The HSC is a good example to actually prove that you can cope with uni, even if they let you get in, you'll struggle, it's true. But obviously if it's because you have serious matters of personal family issues, you won't be applying under this scheme, you would be applying under the EAS scheme. All i want to come to is that there's no free ride into uni, you'd have to work for it, if everyone can get in under this scheme, then why doesn't eveyone just devote their time on sports and represent their school and pray that the scheme will get them in.

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
On soccer fields, In KFC, At uni, At clubs, and in
HSC
N/A
Winston said:
But obviously if it's because you have serious matters of personal family issues, you won't be applying under this scheme, you would be applying under the EAS scheme. All i want to come to is that there's no free ride into uni, you'd have to work for it, if everyone can get in under this scheme, then why doesn't eveyone just devote their time on sports and represent their school and pray that the scheme will get them in.
u talking about me i have no problems ok just think i might not be able to get in to avd science which needed 96+

Winston

HSC
jam3s said:
u talking about me i have no problems ok just think i might not be able to get in to avd science which needed 96+
Well don't apply under any scheme, if your all normal and nothings affecting your studies besides the very fact that you don't feel you can make it in the desired course, it's rorting the schemes, you think about the ones who really do become affected for their studies, and who applied and didn't make it in, because there's others who aren't even affected by any problems during their studies, and who apply because they think they're not gonna make it into their course, that's just inane.

Jessisbored

HSC
i've been asking about this type of entry all year because im a swimmer and because i had a competition in south america during the holidays and had to participate in state this year coz im going overseas next year and need to keep up my times (hence training) my trials and studies were effected. I guess its how seriously its taken. i totally agree with the point that you just cant automatically say oh yeah im going to start training today purposely and hope for the best that it works because im not working hard enough ...

im going to try really hard anyway to get my mark (88.4 on avg) and if i dont get it then i have that backup or just other courses anyway...

Garth

special considerations

how do u apply for the special considerations etc for extra UAI poitns??????

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Garth said:
how do u apply for the special considerations etc for extra UAI poitns??????
You don't, that's the pussy's way out.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
they don't usually approve those cases. I know a bloke from school who competed in lots and lots of Tennis tournaments probably missed about 1/4 of the year due to them. yet he didn't get any special consideration.
He did get about a 97uai though.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
moon_styla said:

wow, this thread must be old!!

moon, i shall see you at the con when we are desperatley trying to get a protools assignment done :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you guys can all suck my special consideration

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
ujuphleg said:
do you guys have to take compulsory pro tools?
yep. we all have to do music technology at some stage, regardless of what degree we do. and part of that is learning pro tools :)

Garth

no help

withoutaface said:
You don't, that's the pussy's way out.
mate im sorry u were not talented enough to apply for special considerations. its not pussy its smart. why not get extra uai points?? . now can anyone else offer some information that is helpful??/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)