special relativity (1 Viewer)

kony

HSC
hi, just trying to clarify a few simple truths.

since c is constant, and speed = distance/time, this means that for light to remain at a constant speed, if distance increases, time increases, and similarly if distance decreases, time decreases.

now suppose we have 2 different inertial frames of reference.

the first, the rest frame, measures speed of light, c metres/second = x metres / y seconds

the second, which observes this light, is in relative motion to the rest frame. therefore, it'll see length contraction. now the distance has become less than x.

it also sees time dilation. now the time has become more than y.

therefore, speed becomes less than c.

can someone tell me what's wrong with this argument? thanks.

HSC
kony said:
hi, just trying to clarify a few simple truths.

since c is constant, and speed = distance/time, this means that for light to remain at a constant speed, if distance increases, time increases, and similarly if distance decreases, time decreases.

now suppose we have 2 different inertial frames of reference.

the first, the rest frame, measures speed of light, c metres/second = x metres / y seconds

the second, which observes this light, is in relative motion to the rest frame. therefore, it'll see length contraction. now the distance has become less than x.

therefore, speed becomes less than c.

can someone tell me what's wrong with this argument? thanks.

"the second, which observes this light, is in relative motion to the rest frame. therefore, it'll see length contraction. now the distance has become less than x.

therefore, speed becomes less than c."

I think u r trying to explain classical theory, i think u have to use Einstein’s equations (length contraction and time dilation) n then u sub it in because:

for "speed = distance/time" speed can be greater than c (that’s y there’s Einstein’s equations for explaining things that approach the speed of light)
&
for Einstein’s equations, speed cannot be greater than c (sub it in urself, it wont work, u will get square root -ve number [unless u do 4u math’s-_-])

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
Think of what and who is measuring. You are using your watch to measure the time from what I can read. So your time doesn't dilate.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
time, y gets smaller too, if that's the truth you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)