Speculation and inspiration.. What's the difference?? (1 Viewer)

baby G

HSC
In the elective statement it refers to imaginative journeys as having elements of 3 things
a) Imagination
b) Speculation
c) Inspiration

But i can't see the difference between speculation and inspiration. To my understanding, speculation is thinking about something... and inspiration is thinking about something. ... can some body please explain this to me?

Nullz

Nullz
HSC
Speculation: Contemplation or consideration of a subject; meditation.
Inspiration: Stimulation of the mind or emotions to a high level of feeling or activity.

Thats from dictionary.com..but im not sure if it makes it harder or easier :S

silentprayer

silently praying
HSC
my understanding of speculation is that it means gathering up all your known information and make a hypothesis or assumption of something that is surreal/imaginative by using your known information and these information are mostly real and not imaginative.

and the definition of inspiration is pretty straight forward as defined by Nullz

shez woz

HSC
inspirational is like lime-tree bower. inspirational to the character or audience, putting them in a better state of mind.
speculative is more like contemplating how bad the future will be. ie: dystopic fiction.
i think.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
This is what I think:

To speculate is to think about things that you don't know the truth about or outcome of (some sort of unresolved issue), and usually to consider possible scenarios.

Inspiration is when a person is given ideas about the unresolved issue, but unlike with speculation, this idea usually results in positive consequences. The inspiration is whatever led them to the idea.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
shez woz said:
speculative is more like contemplating how bad the future will be. ie: dystopic fiction.
i think.
Not necessarily. One can contemplate the meaning of life, and both good AND bad outcomes of different events, etc.

But I could be wrong... :rolleyes:

I think speculating is more weighing up the different outcomes of a certain event, and considering these different outcomes and what each can lead to (whether these outcomes be good OR bad).

fnkychk said:
This is what I think:

To speculate is to think about things that you don't know the truth about or outcome of (some sort of unresolved issue), and usually to consider possible scenarios.

Inspiration is when a person is given ideas about the unresolved issue, but unlike with speculation, this idea usually results in positive consequences. The inspiration is whatever led them to the idea.
PERFECT. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)