• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Speech pathology profession and courses (particularly at ACU) (1 Viewer)

dancingqueennn

HSC
N/A
I've been reflecting lately and have decided if i cant get into ACU OT, id likely do ACU Sydney's speech pathology course (as opposed to western syd uni's OT course cause the distance is too daunting). Ive heard great things about ACU OT, but not much about it's speech path course, has anyone here got any insight into it?

i saw someone online say the learning environment was bad but that's pretty much the extent. there a couple of reviews on seek and they're pretty satisfied.

Also are there any speech path students here that can provide their personal opinions on this career decision, any regrets? i liked biology in high school, and the theory side of pdhpe (like learning about society/mental health etc).

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
I've been reflecting lately and have decided if i cant get into ACU OT, id likely do ACU Sydney's speech pathology course (as opposed to western syd uni's OT course cause the distance is too daunting). Ive heard great things about ACU OT, but not much about it's speech path course, has anyone here got any insight into it?

i saw someone online say the learning environment was bad but that's pretty much the extent. there a couple of reviews on seek and they're pretty satisfied.

Also are there any speech path students here that can provide their personal opinions on this career decision, any regrets? i liked biology in high school, and the theory side of pdhpe (like learning about society/mental health etc).
hii i do speech pathology but at Usyd, i personally love it although it does get tough at times but if u have a passion itll be alright

Im only in my first year but there was some cross over with biology such as module 8 (i think we looked at epidemiology), as well as like everything about the ear but in more detail but i actually really like it. Theres also module 7 like infectious diseases but i cant tell u much about that now coz i havent looked thru my slides yet. Also idk if acu offers this but one of usyds possible electives for speechpath was the foundations of biomedical science which was basically some parts of year11-12 chem and bio but i dropped it for another elective called "fundamentals of disability" which i loved and it was basically about like people with disabilities and it was really eye opening

One thing that u have to learn is linguistics/phonetics which might sound hard but its actually so fun (the phonetics part). It wont make sense if u look at it now but its pretty important to learn

also anatomy and neuroscience will probs make u cry but yeah i cant say much since im still a first year student but this whole year we've looked at/still looking at:
head and neck anatomy, linguistics/phonetics, my elective which will probs differ from everyone and idk what acu offers, another unit called health, behaviour and society which will probs be the "theory side of pdh" u were talking about, neuroscience, stuttering, hearing/audiology and human communication which mostly looks at kids

also every acu speech path student ive met said they loved it

dancingqueennn

HSC
N/A
hii i do speech pathology but at Usyd, i personally love it although it does get tough at times but if u have a passion itll be alright

Im only in my first year but there was some cross over with biology such as module 8 (i think we looked at epidemiology), as well as like everything about the ear but in more detail but i actually really like it. Theres also module 7 like infectious diseases but i cant tell u much about that now coz i havent looked thru my slides yet. Also idk if acu offers this but one of usyds possible electives for speechpath was the foundations of biomedical science which was basically some parts of year11-12 chem and bio but i dropped it for another elective called "fundamentals of disability" which i loved and it was basically about like people with disabilities and it was really eye opening

One thing that u have to learn is linguistics/phonetics which might sound hard but its actually so fun (the phonetics part). It wont make sense if u look at it now but its pretty important to learn

also anatomy and neuroscience will probs make u cry but yeah i cant say much since im still a first year student but this whole year we've looked at/still looking at:
head and neck anatomy, linguistics/phonetics, my elective which will probs differ from everyone and idk what acu offers, another unit called health, behaviour and society which will probs be the "theory side of pdh" u were talking about, neuroscience, stuttering, hearing/audiology and human communication which mostly looks at kids

also every acu speech path student ive met said they loved it
thanks so much!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)