SSIS ENGG1000 cancelled. HELP! (2 Viewers)

acoc

HSC
Hey guys,

I just activated my unimail account (yes, i left it 'til late) and I recerived an email from the head of the "Introduction to engineering design" course telling me that the Surveying and Spatial information Systems stream for that course has been cancelled, and to swap to another lecture sequence.

He didn't specify whether it matters what I should swap to...

What do I do now?

CHeers

me121

Premium Member
HSC
He is right, that lecture sequence will not be run this year. You must pick a different school's ENGG1000 lecture sequence. I don't think it matter's what you do, but I do think that ENGG1000 is compulsory.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
It doesn't matter which stream you pick, but try to pick one that's closest to what you're doing...on second thoughts...pick one with the project that you think you'll enjoy most ;)

acoc

HSC
Thanks for the replies guys! Thats what I wanted to hear. Any ideas as to why its been cancelled? Seams odd to me...

chucknthem said:
It doesn't matter which stream you pick, but try to pick one that's closest to what you're doing...on second thoughts...pick one with the project that you think you'll enjoy most ;)
Awesome, is there somewhere I can get a list of which projects each stream does?

Any you would personally recommend?

CHeers

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
you can get a list of projects here: http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/current/engg1000/index.htm

I did the computer engineering stream (lego robot sumo battle and finding a bottle in a maze and bringing it back) and had a really good time. Mech Eng's project looked like fun too (wind powered model car(?)); but pretty much all the projects looked pretty cool.

Be warned that I have heard a lot of horror stories about group members not contributing at all and otherwise smart people getting bad grades in this course because of their team. Even though my team had it's fair share of lazy people, we still had a really good time because our team just bonded, and in the end we did pretty well.

The trick is to pick a good team that you can bond with and make sure that there are at least a couple smart people who know what they're doing on your team. Nerdy looking fobs may look smart but they generally won't make very good team members, and just because someone talks a lot and is "too social to be smart" doesn't mean that they don't know what they're doing(they might talk a lot because they Do know that they're doing and has a lot to share). (I don't mean to offend anyone with these steryotypes, they're just examples that are meant to say, well, don't steryotype people :rofl: )

So when you get there, you should get a chance to talk to some of your potential team mates, talk to them about previous experience with teamwork, things that relate to your project(you'll be surprised at how many people who already know a lot about what they're doing if you go around and talk to them), and crack a joke or two to see if you get along with them, and remember, the more you bond with your team, the more you'd like to work together and be more productive. That's what this course is all about.

acoc

HSC
Thanks a lot fot that Chuck! You're the man :p

I had a look at the projects, and none of them seam to relate to SSIS whatsover, so I guess I'll have to pick something fun...some of the stuff there looks really challenging!

I thought the groups would've been rendomly chosen...so you're in a room with mostly strangers and you have to put together a group of (5?) people who you think would make a good team? Doesn't sound to easy...

I'm not sure exactly how the lectures work, are there seperate lectures for each stream or are all the streams together for the lectures?

Well thanks again for the help, looks like a lot of the streamsare full or almost full, need to act fast.

Cheers

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Er? I thought we picked what we wanted to do in ENG1000 in the first week?

or do we chooose it now?

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
If I remember correctly, you'll be able to enrol into the stream you want through webvista after uni starts(but it has been nearly a year, so I don't remember much, so try to keep up with what's happening, read your uni mail, etc).
The first couple lectures will be with all the engg people and your first project "impromtu design" will be with all the engg streams together, so you'll get a chance to meet some people there. After that, you'll be partitioned into the stream of your choice. We got a chance to socialize and pick our own teams for comp engg, but your experiences may vary. :hammer:

KD

HSC
N/A
A lot of surveyors go into areas like land development and construction so Civil might be useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)