st mary's cathedral (1 Viewer)

glenn

HSC
N/A
hey i have chosen st marys cathedral for my ISP, focusing on architecture and expressing beliefs...does any one have any info they could send me regarding this?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
try here
http://www.sydney.catholic.org.au/Cathedral/index.shtml
its the cathedrals "official site". Brief but a good place to start.

I dont know if he is still alive but there is/was a Christian Brother who 'works' at the cathedral who is an expert on St. Marys. He ran tours and has written books about SMC. I just wish I could remember his name!!
Maybe give SMC a call to see if they can suggest someone.

My recommendation is to go and visit SMC (if possible) as it is *massive* so to do your entire ISP on "architecture and the expression of beliefs" may leave you with no room for analysis ie pick one part of SMC eg the main altar, the stained galss windows (there are many sections/panels to pick from) the external architecture etc and focus on that.

Hope this helps....

If you find anything, please add it to the ISP resources thread so to help others.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
if u live in the parra area the new st pats cathedral would be great because it has very interesting (modern?) designs.. like a silver jesus (with a 6 pack), a big crown of thorns over the altar and in the chapel bit the tabernacle (is that the word in english.. the place where the eucharist is kept? lol sorry i go to cro church) looks like a space ship
st marys would be good.. ive gone there a few times to pray when im in the area with my friends.. (during exams lol) very beautiful church
but yeh with st pats theres been alot of media about it lately so it might be easier to find info?

Dave85

HSC
hey glenn... i did st mary's cathedral/architecture for my isp last year (class '03). To get info call them up and they will send you a thick yellow envelope full of info. My advice would be to concentrate on one of the features. In my case i chose the great northern window (its this massive window above the alter). There are also a couple of books. I can't remember them off hand but i'll put the names/authors up in a day or two. I'll have to look at all my stuff i collected and i'll msg u wat info i had and where i got it from soon.

Dave85

HSC
okay... so all my info is in storage up in our roof which is REALLY hard 2 get 2. So i'll just go by memory... i think i got info when i went in2 the cathedral and went on a tour, go 2 ur local library... i found a couple of decent books there. Also, there is a magazine i got some info from (i think it cudve been the catholic weekly or something). thats bout all the resources i think i used. the main ones were the info st mary's will send u, and the info u can also get when u go on the tour etc. hope that helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)