standard english help (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Heyo, so I decided to take English Standard instead of Advanced (biggest regret of my life ngl) and I was looking at how many people got band 6's last year and I was shocked to find that such a small number of people in standard got a band 6 (like 200 out of 30k?) and I was really hoping to get a band 6 before knowing that information lol

For anyone who did standard (or advanced really) and got a band 5/6, how did you guys study and please share any tips or ways to write during the exam. I'd appreciate it a lot, thank you :)

Accurate

clix
HSC
Heyo, so I decided to take English Standard instead of Advanced (biggest regret of my life ngl) and I was looking at how many people got band 6's last year and I was shocked to find that such a small number of people in standard got a band 6 (like 200 out of 30k?) and I was really hoping to get a band 6 before knowing that information lol

For anyone who did standard (or advanced really) and got a band 5/6, how did you guys study and please share any tips or ways to write during the exam. I'd appreciate it a lot, thank you :)

You can get a band 6 in standard but the reason why there isn't much Band 6's in Standard is because the people that are capable of getting Band 6 in Standard are doing Advanced. The real difference is the alignment, for Paper 1 you are compared with Advanced students and the main reason why Standard aligns poorly is because they produce crap results compared to the Advanced guys. If you want a Band 6 just make sure your essays are up to the Advanced kids and you should be fine.
Oh and 85+ ATAR with Standard? That's hella possible, if you aimed high as 99+ that would be difficult but people in the past have done it before.

HSC
Uni Grad
You can get a band 6 in standard but the reason why there isn't much Band 6's in Standard is because the people that are capable of getting Band 6 in Standard are doing Advanced. The real difference is the alignment, for Paper 1 you are compared with Advanced students and the main reason why Standard aligns poorly is because they produce crap results compared to the Advanced guys. If you want a Band 6 just make sure your essays are up to the Advanced kids and you should be fine.
Oh and 85+ ATAR with Standard? That's hella possible, if you aimed high as 99+ that would be difficult but people in the past have done it before.
Ah okay, thank you! I'll just have to grind hard o_O

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

Yes it is completely possible. I had people at my school who did even worse scaling subjects overall like senior science, business studies, English standard, general maths and some of them got 90 atars

So it is very possible

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Now on how to actually study make essays as early on as possible and then refine them throughout the year that is the approach I took and it got me almost a state rank. English is all about just perfecting a piece of writing through many revisions of it, and then being able to adapt it in the exam (a skill easy for some and more difficult for others which you will find out probably soon on how you are on this. If you have trouble with adapting you should do some practice timed tests)

HSC
Uni Grad
Na stop feeding bs

As for the atar goal. I got an 85 in English standard and got a high 90s atar. Don't listen to Hscbuzman
Ahh that gives me hope, thanks!!

Now on how to actually study make essays as early on as possible and then refine them throughout the year that is the approach I took and it got me almost a state rank. English is all about just perfecting a piece of writing through many revisions of it, and then being able to adapt it in the exam (a skill easy for some and more difficult for others which you will find out probably soon on how you are on this. If you have trouble with adapting you should do some practice timed tests)
Thank you for the tips, I'll get onto writing heaps of practice essays. Would you say it's a good idea to use some of my topic sentences and theses from my school assessments (that scored well ofc) and bring it into the HSC? (my school's a public school so idk if they're more lenient)

deanjacobson_

HSC
N/A
Thank you for the tips, I'll get onto writing heaps of practice essays. Would you say it's a good idea to use some of my topic sentences and theses from my school assessments (that scored well ofc) and bring it into the HSC? (my school's a public school so idk if they're more lenient)
If your topic sentences and theses match the question then yeah, but try not to focus on memorising if you can and rather learn the skills of how to come up with strong topic sentences and theses during the exam. It just saves brain space for quote memorising. The only way to do this is through practise.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh that gives me hope, thanks!!

To be honest can't really help out too much on that because I didn't really study too much for English, just memorised all my essays word for word and then adapted on the spot. Everyone does English a little different, so if that worked well for you in school then continue that don't change it now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)