Standard vs Adv (1 Viewer)

Fluffmeister

HSC
I generally get abouve 70's in english advanced during the prelim year and that takes a lot out of me in doing... and hate it with a passion

what am i sacrificing mark wise if i drop to standard, i know it depends if i do really well but i generally like ot think id do pretty well in it anyway

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
I don't know what would happen marks wise, but advanced sucks. It is boring and pointless (but that goes for any level of english).
I don't know if this story will help... but you indicate that it's hard for you to get 70%+... okay, so, in maths extension it was hard for me to get 60% in prelim and now I'm not even getting 30%. I worked so hard at it too, and wasted alot of time on that subject when I could have been studying for 2u maths and now I am really regretting not dropping it...
Okay, so that probably doesn't make sense or relate to your question. But basically, I'm trying to say that if you're finding it a waste of time, and if you think you can do better in standard, then drop down. It's not worth stressing over if you aren't getting the results you need...
Yeah hope that helps (sorry :-? )

HSC
N/A
The massive advantage to Eng Adv is scaling. I can't remember the exact statistics but it's almost impossible to get a Band 6, and still very difficult to get a band 5 (something like that - not actually sure Band 6 is attainable for Std Eng?). Considering that 2 units of english must be included in your UAI...this is pretty harsh

Don't compare english to maths. General Maths and Advanced Maths are basically two separate courses - whereas both Eng Std and Eng Adv will do the SAME exam (Eng AOS), so marks between the two "groups" can be compared and scaled accordingly (Eng Adv course is considerably more challenging than the Eng Std course).

I normally hate pressuring people to do one thing over another, but if you can do eng adv then I suggest that you do. Don't beat yourself up over a preliminary syllabus - a lot of people have issues with Yr 11 english because some schools basically make it HSC level (HUGE jump from yr 10 english, this happened in my school and subsequently I found actual hsc english somewhat easier than what I'd done in Yr 11, because I'd had more time to figure out what the hell I was doing). Failing all else, you can always "drop down" to standard english if you change your mind later on :)

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
i do standard english, and it is not bad.
u still have to work hard, but you are not generally gonna come out of the exams crying, or after getting your result back...
not because it is easy, it is easier to get the marks needed.

i dunno, i did poorly in yr 11, lifted mystandards in yr 12 and is coming top 5 in standard english, and beat advanced kids in my skool in paper 1 trial...

standard doesn't mean ur crap. ur smart to pick something that is easy to do and can get you an advantage in english. ppl in my school do well in std english, we even had a band 6.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
If you can write clearly and adhere to a structure, stick with advanced. Dropping to standard is not going to do you any favours in terms of final marks, and also the work is not really that much easier.

English is a tough subject.

Fluffmeister

HSC
i dont completely understand the system.. but say i get 90's in my subjects being...2 unit math...ancient history...design tech..and economics

and bum out with a say. 70 in adv english.. would that just dominate my UAI..im aiming for mid 80s as i dont intend to do some super hard uni course but i still want to do well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)