Starting at Q8? (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ND
Well i started on Q8, and screwed it big time... Moral of the story: don't start at q8 unless you're turtle or spice girl.
lol...what a hard way of learning a lesson.

yeah, i also learnt the painful way that 1/cos^2x=sec^2x. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah on top of that, my time management was crap, i mean i spent all this time in conics to not get the answer...whilst i could've done q. 8, which i didn't have time for. :(

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by ND
Well i started on Q8, and screwed it big time... Moral of the story: don't start at q8 unless you're turtle or spice girl.
i wouldn'tve started at Q8 in 4unit exams...

i think i did my 3u exam backwards, but i took a big big risk there...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
i wouldn'tve started at Q8 in 4unit exams...

i think i did my 3u exam backwards, but i took a big big risk there...

see ND, not even spice girl took the risk of doin' it backwards, let alone u. :rolleyes: :D

btw, what did u think abt. the test spice?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
brave men are rare today, but im sure he'd have done allright, despite his preconceptions of "screwing up". After-all, the scaling would fix whatever happened to a degree which any screwups will feel subtle on the mark...

Some 3u question 7s are a bitch, for example the ever-trivial 2000 q7(a)(ii). Now that's a tricky crap. Makes it look like a maths competition paper, which i despise due to my failure to obtain high distinction this year :(

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by freaking_out
see ND, not even spice girl took the risk of doin' it backwards, let alone u. :rolleyes: :D

btw, what did u think abt. the test spice?
erm definitely harder than last years (which is good to see, actually. You don't need to worry about silly mistakes). but most of the paper is definitely do-able. They've included a lot of mathematical content.

the conics question is a biatch...quite a lot of algebra...but that is doable too (with enough time). question 3 on volumes was a biatch too...i'd rather use shells on that anulus.

o well, good luck everybody. if everyone says its a hard test, and u think u did average in it, then u prolly did very very well..

PS: still finding time to figure out the 2nd last part of Q8...where the hell did that 'p' come from??

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
...PS: still finding time to figure out the 2nd last part of Q8...where the hell did that 'p' come from??
lol, spice girl u're loosing your old form it seems. :)

yeah, we all thought it was hard and long...i couldn't even finish it.:(

btw, how did u do the first part of the volumes question (i couldn't), also what was ya answer to the second part? :)

Last edited:

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by freaking_out
btw, how did u do the first part of the volumes question (i couldn't), also what was ya answer to the second part? :)
figured the rest of Q8 out now...

anyway, if you solve the quadratic x^2 - 4x + 3 + y = 0 (which comes from (x-1)(3-x) = y), then you should get:

x = 2 +/- sqrt(1-y)

so if the 2 solns are x1, x2, then the area we need is A = pi[(3-x1)^2 - (3-x2)^2]

and if u let x1 = 2 - sqrt(1-y), x2 = 2 + sqrt(1-y), you should get the result

part 2: 16pi/3?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)