• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Starting up Drama Classes (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I was thinking of starting to teach my own drama classes for primary school aged kids. Yes, I am qualified to teach drama (almost... I just have one more exam in a few weeks which I should easily pass)...

I was wondering if anyone knows a few things I am confused about.

If I were to hire school halls or church halls to teach the lessons, would I be covered by their public liability insurance, or would I have to take out my own?

Could I run it cash in hand, what if parents want to pay me by cheque or electronic funds transfer? Should I get an ABN and do it the right way, or would that make it pretty profitless?

Do you think there would be a demand for classes in the inner city areas? I was thinking about teaching in a few suburbs on different days of the week and weekends or something like that.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Or better still, anyone know anybody that is looking to hire a qualified but relatively inexperienced drama teacher lol? I have taught before, just not a huge amount.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
I was thinking of starting to teach my own drama classes for primary school aged kids. Yes, I am qualified to teach drama (almost... I just have one more exam in a few weeks which I should easily pass)...

I was wondering if anyone knows a few things I am confused about.

If I were to hire school halls or church halls to teach the lessons, would I be covered by their public liability insurance, or would I have to take out my own?

Could I run it cash in hand, what if parents want to pay me by cheque or electronic funds transfer? Should I get an ABN and do it the right way, or would that make it pretty profitless?

Do you think there would be a demand for classes in the inner city areas? I was thinking about teaching in a few suburbs on different days of the week and weekends or something like that.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Or better still, anyone know anybody that is looking to hire a qualified but relatively inexperienced drama teacher lol? I have taught before, just not a huge amount.
Hi, I am not sure but here's what I think
* No you probably will need to pruchase your own public liability insurance
* It's best to set up an account, I don't know how the business side work but if they use electronic funds transfer, i think they'll have to write a description. You can ask them to transfer funds labelling 'Ash's drama class- (student name)'
* I could be wrong but as for cheques, if they write your account name (eg your name) you should be able to get the money
* it would probably be easier to establish yourself in one area first then start to branch out.
* Also, think about how you are going to get the students and advertising.
* Budgets, target monthly budget, various expenses and preliminary (set up) expense etc...

Good luck Ash :)

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
yeah u might need an ABN if ur going to earn over the certain tax bracket..i think its $6000 at the moment..
i recommend going that way, cos then the gov't can cover u with certain stuff -- i'd check it all out, there's heaps of small business services available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)