• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

State sovereignty (1 Viewer)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Do we only have to know what state sovereignty is, or do we also have to be able to discuss the 'birth' and/or development of state sovereignty as well?

State sovereignty is under the syllabus dot point:
The nature and development of concepts of human rights and is part of the same sub-heading as the movement/development for slavery abolition, trade unionism etc, so I was thinking that maybe you do have to know about the actual development of state soverieignty as a legal notion.
Does anyone know for sure?

manifestation

What?!
HSC
I think with Human Rights we only need to know what it is and what it means in terms of benefiting/Obstructing human rights. We need to know the definition of it and some examples where state sovereignty has aided human rights or been an obstacle to it. Because remember human rights is only tested as multiple choice and short answer so don't worry about it too much. Like in my notes i just have the definition of it and some examples of where state sovereignty has aided human rights or been an obstacle to it.

State sovereignty:

1. Supremacy of authority or rule as exercised by a sovereign state
2. A nation state can run its own internal affairs (within the nation) without external influence
3. Royal rank, authority or power
4. Complete independence and self-government
5. A territory existing as an independent state

But just to be safe, I think we should read the history of state sovereignty :
(It's not that long, and one of that outcomes is, a student understands the development of State sovereignty)

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/legal_studies...man_rights/human_rights.htm#State Sovereignty

GOOD LUCK :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)