Stepford Wives (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
What did you guys think of this? I didn't know what to think really.... I thought Nicole was absolutely woeful in this film....

I think that it was a superficial treatment of something that could have been treated seriously as a piece of contemporary social commentary. It could have dealt with consumerism, females through the male gaze/patriarchal dominance, contemporary society's obsession with perfection, esp perfection of the female form etc.... it didn't really bring out the dystopic elements which I think would have made the film better, and made it carry more of a message.

The guys were portrayed as blokes who wanted clean houses and liked to joke around. Their malevolence should have come through more I think... no "nice" guys would do that to their wives.

The whole thing was pretty silly in my opinion. I'd be interested to read the book, to see if the film totally trashed the book in the true hollywood style. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't very good!!

What did everyone else think?

Cicciolina

HSC
I wish it was more black comedy, like 'To Die For' rather than be so... I'm not sure what the word is. It seemed to jump around a bit too much and not really flow. All the changes were so sudden (like when Joanna suddenly decides she'll try really hard). But the dress was pretty at the end. And I liked the credits in the beginning. The ending seemed a bit like a copout.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
nerd2die6 said:
i thought it was predictable and shit
Did you see it to the ending? It was shit, but the ending was hardly predictable.

1) The 70's version was much better. It was dark, and a little scary.

2) The sequal was shit, and it was turned into virtually a camp spoof of the original.

3) Personally, I think this film isn't as relevant as the original was back in the 70's.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I think I'll wait till it hits DVD, although I do want to see it.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
RCMasterAA said:
Way too many plotholes.
One of the main ones seemed to be that they could not decide if the "wives" were really robots, or just had chips in their heads. It seems as if the "chip" idea was an afterthought, considering many scenes in the film contradict the fact that they are not mechanical ...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
McLake said:
One of the main ones seemed to be that they could not decide if the "wives" were really robots, or just had chips in their heads. It seems as if the "chip" idea was an afterthought, considering many scenes in the film contradict the fact that they are not mechanical ...
Yeah I know.... the whole adaptation was quite flawed. It really was below par.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)