stnadard? (1 Viewer)

lordesf

HSC
Hey

really needd help!!

currently in yr 11 i got a average year assesment mark in english (73%)
which is below my year average (77%) i got 68% in mid years and 66% in Yearlys and im like rank really badly like 25/26.

And so i started to think whether standard i sbetter for me?

i really dont get how the "rankings work" what does ranking have to do with your marks?

say e.g i get 73% in Adv eng and ranked 25/26 than get 73% say in standard and rank 1st what wat be the difernce? which one is better?

my english tutor says standard scales are appalling and all tht.. so wonering if u could help me!

starrysky

HSC
My teacher's always told me that it's better to do Advanced, because it's much harder to get a Band 6 in Standard English than it is in Advanced. With that said, though, it's not impossible - it can be done.

Standard generally doesn't scale too well, because of the sheer amount of people who do it each year in comparison to Advanced (e.g. at my school we have five Standard classes, and our Advanced class has 16 people in it); so that's where it lets you down.

I may be biased when I say this, but I'd stay stick with Advanced because you have time to improve and maximise your marks before your Year 12 mid-years and trials and such. -shrug-

Oh, and as a note: Ranking is important because once you come to the HSC exams, your total subject mark will draw from your ranking. Say you are ranked 15th out of 26 in Advanced English by the time the HSC rolls in next year. You and your cohort (class, or whoever does the course in your year) sit the state-wide exams. The 15th best mark from your cohort in the exams (say, it's 75) will become your -assessment- mark. Then the Board of Studies also takes your actual mark from the HSC exam, and combines them to make your total mark for that subject. Which is why teachers tend to try and over-frighten people when talking about rankings.

But don't forget that Advanced scales really well compared to Standard. It's up to you ...

lordesf

HSC
but like say im ranked last in adv english, does tht mean i would get my own mark of wat i did in the hsc?

starrysky

HSC
Alright, if you ranked 26th out of 26, it still can make a difference. Your cohort sits the exam on the day. Say you got an exam mark of 85, and it was the 16th best mark out of your group (all the people in your year who go English Advanced). The person who ranks 16th in your group will get your exam mark as their assessment mark.

Similarly, if the 26th (lowest) exam mark in your group is 65, even if you scored that 85 for the exam, then you will receive that 65 as your assessment mark. Your exam mark is taken into account, of course.

lordesf

HSC
so in other words if one guy "accidently" screws up and fails then il be the one taking tht failed mark? :bomb:

OH MY GOSH thts terrible!

starrysky

HSC
Which is why people make such a big deal over the Top 200 schools in the state; if you go to a selective school, for example, there's less chance of you screwing up majorly, because the results and the work ethic of a selective school mean that everyone generally does well.

Which brings me to the notion that it also depends on the school you go to, and the way your cohort works; independent study isn't the only factor in all of this. In my Advanced class, the trial results varied between 95% and 30%, and I'm ranked in a somewhat mediocre position, but if my cohort ends up getting between 70% and 100% in the exams, it won't be so bad at all.

Remember: Rankings matter. Assessment marks don't, in comparison.

BUT! Calm down for a moment, and think that the HSC is worth a whopping HALF of your total marks. You won't necessarily get a failed mark at all; the assessment mark is only 50% of things. The person who comes 26th in the exam in your group could get 50, and that becomes your assessment mark, but remember that if you do well in the exam, it'll boost your total mark.

lordesf

HSC
yeh true but still not good enough, my uai aim is 80 and english is so important in my 11 units i wil be taking in year 12...

but yes i guess we do have a ok advance group since the standard is so teribble! lol

but yeh i sioerusly diidnt no thts how "assesment marks" work i thought it was just your average assesment not the ranking ahh..

so this applys to all subjects?

starrysky

HSC
Yes, it applies to all subjects. Plus, whether you stay in Advanced or go down, you still have the rest of the year to boost ranking across all your classes and whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)