stressing out during an exam!! tips and help needed (2 Viewers)

theomen131

HSC
N/A
hello all,
I have just recently finished my first exam for yr 11. it went terribly. I freaked out and lost most concentration. I haven't got the results back yet but I am expecting well under 70%. this is terrible news as its never really happened before on this level.
I have failed my first prelim exam not because of a lack of knowledge. I spent every weekend since school started studying and preparing and wasted little time during the week to do the same thing. I did practice papers, used all of maths online, had loads of sleep the nights before. I had everything I could possibly have and did all that I thought I could do. yet in the exam I flunked.
whyyy, and if any of you have gone through the same thing please help me out before it becomes a bigger problem

deloving

HSC
It's because you overdid it. You need to relax, go out, play some sport, do anything that you find enjoyable. You need to find a balance, you can't just stress over school - it won't do you any good. There is no need to study the entire weekend or even every day for that matter.

procratination

HSC
Unfortunately I know exactly how you feel. It's that feeling as soon as you look at the paper you know you can do every question in there but for some reason you freak out and start looking at the clock or anything that can distract you because something is telling you that it is simply impossible for you to complete the exam. The good think is this is only PRELIMS so there is plenty of time to iron out this anxiety. The main thing I did that allowed me to get over the issue of exam freak out was to stop cramming my head with information and information because your brain reaches a point where it starts to lose it. Quality study over quantity study and in the end you'll be amazed how much easier it is to sit the exam.

Don't let this one poor exam get you down, It is not Vital nor is it significantly Important. The worst thing would be is for you to lose your confidence in yourself which will heighten you anxiety. Pick up and learn for your mistake then forget all about it.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I have two strategies one is to try and blank my mind and kick into gear as soon as the reading time starts you'd be suprised when you're relaxed how much you can remember. For maths exams now I treat them like a game and sort of go, how can I get the highest score. It makes it less stressful albeit silly haha

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Practiced my English essay until I could recite in French, got into exam room, forgot it entirely. When you put so much focus on something being the most important thing ever and the product of all of that hard work it just makes you nervous and your mind goes blank. Relax, calm down and if you take it a little less seriously you'll actually do better :)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Like procrastination said, past papers are a great form of revision and can also double as preparing your nerves for exams. Make sure you try and replicate exam conditions as much as possible for that though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)