• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

strong-acid strong-base question (1 Viewer)

243_robbo

HSC
another question

when H2SO4 reacts with NaOH it produces NaHSO4 and H2O

because both the acid and the base are strong, the pH should be neutral and the Na+ and HSO4- ions should not react to any sginificant as they are extremely weak conjugates.

However our prac yielded a pH of 3 and the teacher concurs that the HSO4 should act as an acid and react with water to produce H3O+ and SO4 2-.

HSO4 is amphiprotic and so it can act as an acid or a base, but why in this case is it acting as a stronger (but still weak) acid again rather then being a weak base as conjugates should. And why is a strong acid-strong base salt yielding such a low ph

this is very confusing so i hope i explained it properly

thanks in advance if anyone can help

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Sounds to me like H2SO4 was in excess.

By the way, it reacts with NaOH to produce Na2SO4. I think there should be some hydrogen sulfate too, but this is what my teacher told me after I got it wrong in an exam.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I'm pretty sure H2SO4 reacts with NaOH to give Na2SO4 (sodium sulfate) and water at a ratio of one mole of sulfuric acid to two moles sodium hydroxide. I don't think they react to give a hydrogen sulfate.

I would guess that in your prac you had insufficient NaOH to react with the H2SO4. Hence, the available NaOH reacts with the acid to form Na2SO4, and the remaining acid is left bumming around. The presence of the acid results in the very low pH of 3.

EDIT: Damn, Dreamerish wins by a nose. :p

I_F

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)