• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Structure of my PIP (1 Viewer)

lalason

These are just some really rough notes on how I could do my PIP, I'm really unsure... I'm trying to do what they told us at the PIP day and split it into subtopics. I think its a bit of a mess...

My topic is Australian young people converting to Islam, and the effects on their lives, why they converted, and I'm trying to identify this as social change (like an increased number of conversions to Islam).

SUBTOPIC IDEAS:
-Spread of Islam/Ideology of Islam
-Case studies/Interviews: change in values, change in outlook on life, women: restricted freedom vs. empowerment, attraction to Islam, what role does religion play in their lives, will they encourage their children to follow Islam
-Gender Roles: restricted freedom vs. empowerment
-Society’s attitude to conversion
-Modernisation of Islam: Are young people changing traditions?

METHODOLOGIES:
-Content Analysis: Koran
-Statistical Analysis: Identifying social trend
-Case study inc. interview: Converts
-Interview: Imam (sort of priest equivalent in Islam)

I'm finding statisical research really hard, I could just be looking in the wrong places... I can't really find anything to properly reflect that young people are converting, would my case studies be enough? I think I might get up to four of them.

But anywaaay any feedback much much muchly appreciated! :)

winicat

HSC
i'd kind of look at it like "this is what has happened", "this is what is now happening" and "this is where i think it's going" (future methodology stuff ;)) -- the subtopics you've already suggested would fit under these areas.

if your case studies are big maybe it's a good idea to have a chapter dedicated to that concept

with my own PIP i had subheadings beneath my chapters. this allowed me to state broadly (in the chapter heading) what the chapter was about, whilst subheadings within the chapters allowed me to indicate that i was narrowing the subject matter i was discussing. maybe this is something that would help you organise your work more.

lalason

Winicat - thats a perfect way to organise it, i'm going to use that, it'll make my research simpler as well. thank you, thats a really really big help :)

Kulazzi - that site is really good, i hadn't seen it before, most things I found were American. The information is so useful (perfect content analysis in the articles) but the forums give me the best insight!! thanks so much :)

winicat

HSC
i've said it before and i'll say it again: "i aim to please ;)"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)