• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Student Activity Fee (1 Viewer)

LazyBoy

HSC
i got an offer at USYD that im accepting, i will be enrolling on friday. I read that you need to pay a $590 activity fee that there will be way i could pay this month let alone within 2 days!!!. Has anyone else had this problem, what other avenues are there to pay the fee without doing it on enrollment.

HSC
i don't think there's an alternative...either you pay on that day, or your spot is offered to another person.
just borrow from your parents and pay them back gradually..

LazyBoy

HSC
lol no chance they are broker then i am. Im sure theres gotta be other ways around it. 2 days notice is bloody stupid to tell someone to raisse $700. I think i know only a handful of ppl who could do that. Also realistically its against EO practice. They cant give away a place due to economic hardship.

DAAVE

HSC
Hey,

you aren't totally out of luck, I remember on enrolment day there was a financial options part or something for people who couldnt pay on the day.

what i'd recommend is to ring usyd ASAP tomorrow and ask them. the number is
1300 362 006. for their help line.

good luck

LazyBoy

HSC
Already plan on doing that :p. I aint that worried cause i know theres gotta be something there.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The Union and the SRC are full of crap. They talk about student welfare, but they just want your student fees so they can go spend it on yet another aborigine rights protest, or another "save the forests" protest, or more feminist supremecy propaganda.

If you cannot pay in the next few days, and they deny you your position at the University, then you will have a legal case against the Union, the SRC and SU Sport. I'm sure they aren't willing to look like they're screwing over students, so while I would see what options are available, I wouldn't worry Too much about these organisations.

LazyBoy

HSC
yeah im not worried all that much. Thanks for your help.

but on the note of your post, i totally agree. I have no idea why im paying for sport stuff that i have no plan on getting involved in.

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
You WONT have a legal case against the Union, the SRC, or SU Sport. Compulsory Student Unionism is completely legal and has been standard practice for decades.

The information telling you that you have to pay contribution fees on enrolment has been around for ages - more than ample time to raise some money. You have NOT had 2 days to raise $600.

That being said - it's completely unfair that you would be barred from enrolment because you can't come up with the cash. I'm sure they will have a special consideration/financial hardship thing.

You won't have to worry about this next year - Howard will introduce voluntary unionism this year so we can spend the rest of our uni lives without on-campus services, pubs, clubs etc etc. Just wait and see what it's like - you'll understand these feees are incredibly important.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I agree that membership to the USU is important, but what I don't get is why everyone should have to subscribe to the sports union, and why some of my fees should go towards "subsidised child care, school tutoring program, careers day for boys and girls, women's and queer publications".

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Why? Because if it wasnt compulsory noone would pay for it and that would be the end of student democracy.
The union does a lot to look after entertainment. If for example people started thinking: "Hey I only went to one gig this year, I'm not paying the union" then the quality of life would slip in usyd.
The SRC does in fact participate in things that not everyone agrees in, but they do just as much towards just causes. For example, I read somewhere that well be paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars towards readings. The SRC found out this is illegal and are putting pressure on the uni to make it free.
Many SRC activities would make the uni a better place.
The Sports Union? Sports costs would be way too high for any student if a contribution was not paid. The running and maintenance of gyms, facilities, competitions all cost money.
Since youre paying for it, you should get involved in sports

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Unfortunately, none of this applies to non-main campus students without their own independent Union, such as the Conservatorium. Spending on Conservatorium students is no more than $10000 a year from the three student organisations, yet we contribute approximately $320000 a year in compulsory fees.

The SRC is spending a reasonable amount of money on course readers and other academic issues - however I know from first hand experience that the money they spend on academic issues is dwarfed by funding for minority causes, and paying for election campaign material. They spend about as much money getting themselves elected using SRC fees, than they do on the education program in a year. Add to this the fact that they continuously engage in vote-rigging, and various other corrupt actions, and you can see why a lot of us aren't happy with the SRC.

The Union has by far the biggest budget of the three organisations, and their benefit is negligible, when you consider that the non-member price for food at Cumberland campus (which is run by the Cumberland Students Guild) is cheaper than that of the member price at a Union campus. At the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society, we receive about $3000 a year in funding. Considering that our membership is over 60 people, paying the Union $271 a year, it's not much money - and we wouldn't even get this much if it weren't for our constant threats of secession. If we were to secede and put our student fees into a Con-based organisation, we would have a Lot more money to spend, and absolutely no loss of services.

Funding on sport events at the Conservatorium in 2003 and 2004 was a great big $0. Considering that every Conservatorium student pays $144 a year to SU Sport, it is extremely unfair to spend nothing on the Con.

And you wonder why students aren't happy with Universal Student Unionism. I don't support VSU, but even the Union's General Manager acknowledges we'd be better off without the Union at our campus.

Last edited:

LazyBoy

HSC
no i totally agree with union fee's and such. And to be honest i never thought id get into syd so therefore i never realised there was a fee i had to pay on enrollment. i was expecting when i start tutorials and such.

alien

HSC
i think you can get financial support from the SRC. that might only be once you're a member of the uni though

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I do disagree with the conservatorium fees though. Whilst I'm on the main campus, I think their fees should be proportional to the spending

LazyBoy

HSC
some of the fees are a total rort for some people. Like the SU for me is fine, because due to other memberships im obliged to be a part of the union, but things like the Sport thingy is totally stupid for me as i wont be getting involved in that what so ever. But meh if its the price i have to pay its the price i have to pay.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
If we were to secede and put our student fees into a Con-based organisation, we would have a Lot more money to spend, and absolutely no loss of services.
Then why don't you just go do it. Don't just threaten just hurry up and do it then.

It's better you go form your own union then getting elected president of the SRC so you can blow all the money on anti Taiwan protests.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i think u shud inquire with the student information office or student centre......

LazyBoy

HSC
its all sorted out now. stressfull scramble to get 600 bucks ina day.. quite an effort.

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
If thats the case with the Conservatorium - why don't you just secede? Or alternatively form a group to take control of the Union and get a fairer deal for Con students?

Given the ALP club controls the Union and the Labor club controls the SRC - its entirely possible to form your own organisation and challenge their authority,

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Secession isn't easy, but it's something that Conservatorium Diversity is currently looking into. While it would be extremely difficult to maintain a completely independent organisation to replace the Union, we are looking at amalgamating with the SCSCA at the College of the Arts, or even the CSG at Cumberland.

When I ran for President of the SRC, I ran on the basis of student Diversity. This means an acknowledgement that even so-called "majority" groups, like men and Chinese need representation at our SRC. Most importantly, campuses such as the Conservatorium, the SCA, Cumberland and whichever other campuses haven't been sold off need representation, and the main campus cannot provide that. Since they were even willing to rig the votes to avoid students at other campuses getting elected, we are looking at secession from the SRC as well as the Union, and establishing an Affiliate Site representative organisation.

As for SU Sport, if the university agrees I would like to see my student fees to this organisation go to a better cause. Like a charity, or into the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)