• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Students block people out of Education discussion (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Well he can't become more "in touch" with students if he's blocked from entering the campus. Dipshits.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes... police denied they told him it was out of control, which might be true. However look at the images of people trying to get in and being pushed out, or of the protestors walking into the lecture theatre and just sitting on the stage.

It was not a secure place for him to go, and it shows that alot of those who are against VSU do not really want communication.

"I don't think he was in danger its uni holidays and there were about 20 of them"

There were more than 20, there were 50 by their own estimates, and they were proud of their work... student union leaders applauded them.

Saying this was a ploy of his, with no proof, is grasping at straws and takes away credibility from what you say.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
"I don't think he was in danger its uni holidays and there were about 20 of them"

There were more than 20, there were 50 by their own estimates, and they were proud of their work... student union leaders applauded them.
I dont think there were that many. On the news they seem to be about 20. Not many at all. I really don't think a few rag tag VSU evil protestors is dangerous.

I believe the Gillard debate was much more dangerous for Nelson.

I think it just gives Nelson a chance to go on about how dangerous it is for him and how out of control protestors are. I think, on this occasion, he looked a bit precious.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
i don't understand the protestors (no one does, but especially so in this instance). Last time, the protesters were upset because only that red head from the Labor party.. (Gillard) turned up, and her liberal counterpart didn't. This time, they wanted reassurance that he WOULDN'T turn up?
I think you need to read the news before you actually can comment.

What do the protesters really hope to achieve? Losers!!

You mean you dont support the patriotic youth league protests?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think it just gives Nelson a chance to go on about how dangerous it is for him and how out of control protestors are. I think, on this occasion, he looked a bit precious.
There was a lack of control there, so while I don't think he was in too much danger, but he couldn't go there without sending in police to pull them all out as it wasn't a secure location.

There were enough to keep all the other educators trying to get in out. Please don't be a hack... admit that this was wrong/stupid/and unjustified.

I agree that he did attempt to score political points off this, but I don't think he went too crazy about it like claiming his life was in danger or whatever.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
There was a lack of control there, so while I don't think he was in too much danger, but he couldn't go there without sending in police to pull them all out as it wasn't a secure location.
Are you suggesting that because protestors are there, and a small number at that, that pollies should turn and head away. I highly doubt he was in any serious danger.

Nelson turning up on the news acting like he was life is was in serious danger was precious.

There were enough to keep all the other educators trying to get in out. Please don't be a hack and admit that this was wrong/stupid/and unjustified.
um what?

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
there were 20 (your estimate) to 50 (the estimate I got from the news, quoted by the protestors) which is more than enough to keep people out of a lecture theatre (e.g. the other educators that couldn't get in).

I believe there should have been better security before-hand, but that since the situation was already out of control he made the right decision. The only other decision was to get police to go in and pull them out, which would of been heavy-handed.

He did not act like his life was in danger, he said he was in danger. There was no security there, so he was. But of course he attempted to score a few political points off it, but who cares?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I believe there should have been better security before-hand, but that since the situation was already out of control he made the right decision. The only other decision was to get police to go in and pull them out, which would of been heavy-handed.
They didn't look that out of control to me. Looked like people putting up posters and people linking arms across one gate of usyd.

Nelson wasn't in danger. He played it for political points. Nelson has faced much large protests and so have other pollies. I suggest that 50 protestors protesting will result in a pollie running away is precious.

It was obvious he was trying to score points.

ntb said:
Saying this was a ploy of his, with no proof, is grasping at straws and takes away credibility from what you say.
ntb said:
I agree that he did attempt to score political points off this, but I don't think he went too crazy about it like claiming his life was in danger or whatever.
Make up your mind.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
They didn't look that out of control to me. Looked like people putting up posters and people linking arms across one gate of usyd.
Listen to me and address my points.
- There were enough to keep the other educators out.
- He would of had to send police in there, to pull the people whom were sitting in protest on the stage, and forming chains around the entrances out. It would of been heavy handed.

It was quit obvious he was trying to score points.
How many times must I acknowledge that he used the event to score some political points?

Make up your mind would ya.
Please understand there is a difference between acknowledging that someone used an event to gain some political points, and claiming that someone plotted the event to his advantage FOR the political points.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Listen to me and address my points.
- There were enough to keep the other educators out.
FFS there is more than one way to drive into usyd :rolleyes:

50 protestors is not enough to block every entrance. I seriously doubt academics would have gone to one gate and given up on getting into the uni. Considering there are about 10 gates where people can drive in and park.

Please understand there is a difference between acknowledging that someone used an event to gain some political points, and claiming that someone plotted the event to his advantage FOR the political points.
No one claimed that this was plotted in advance. I did claim that Nelson wanted to score points and he saw an opportunity when there were some protestors. His ploy after hearing about the protestors and the moderate danger was to turn back and score some points.

Last edited:

gerhard

HSC
a protest can have a large amount of people without being violent

from SMH

'Superintendent Finch said he had amicable discussions with the protesters and the conference organisers, and the activists left the auditorium peacefully after they addressed the meeting.

"So, far as I'm concerned, at no stage was it [the protest] close to violence," he said.'

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
FFS there is more than one way to drive into usyd
They were trying to gain access to a lecture theatre, there are limited access points.
- Why could the educators not get through? are they a part of the 'ploy' ?

Also, once they got through somehow, they had to deal with the protestors sitting on the floor... so they would have to send in police to get rid of them, which would be heavy handed.

No one claimed that this was plotted.
you said:
I believe it a political ploy plan on the bahalf of Nelson to highlight evil protestors.

dictionary.com said:
An action calculated to frustrate an opponent or gain an advantage indirectly or deviously

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
gerhard said:
a protest can have a large amount of people without being violent

'Superintendent Finch said he had amicable discussions with the protesters and the conference organisers, and the activists left the auditorium peacefully after they addressed the meeting.

"So, far as I'm concerned, at no stage was it [the protest] close to violence," he said.'
The only person claiming the protest was dangerous is Nelson. I believe it would be a bit sad if all political leaders gave up when there were 50 protestors.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
They were trying to gain access to a lecture theatre, there are limited access points.
- Why could the educators not get through? are they a part of the 'ploy' ?
I believe that academics can walk.

As for what I meant by 'ploy' I outlined that in the past post.

dictionary said:
An action calculated to frustrate an opponent or gain an advantage indirectly or deviously

Yes and? When does ploy and calculate ever have to relate to long term planning. I'll make it clear that I dont think this is some kind of long term plan. I don't think he set out today not to talk and then blame the protestors. It may have arisen during the day. One of his policy advisors may have given him the idea to score points. Who knows. But a ploy can be hatched at the present. It can be long term or immidiate. Really i used the word in terms of tactic his ploy or tactic.

Could be a new tactic or ploy or method he is employing. Any sign of protesting and he won't speak. He will then make light of this on the evening news and score points.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I believe that academics can walk.
They can walk through a chain of people?

gerhard? Are you attempting to say that if the police asked the protestors to leave, they would have?

The reason they left was because they must have gotten word nelson wasn't comming, which was the aim of their protest.

Any sign of protesting and he won't speak. He will then make light of this on the evening news and score points.
What would you have liked him to do? there were protestors sitting outside blocking people comming in, and protestors inside holding the stage saying that they wouldn't leave if nelson was comming.

Should he have gone there and tried to walk through? Should he have called in the police to pull them all out? What?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
They can walk through a chain of people?
There are more than one way into main campus. In fact I can think three main entrances that would provide direct access to the lecture halls in question. Three entrances that 50 people, no matter how fat or feral, could never cover.

I think if Nelson really wanted to talk he could have. He would have had to have the protestors moved from the lecture hall however. The issue of people not being able to walk through a chain of people is just silly. usyd doesn't even have a fence around it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)