Students of Mac U's Law Professor, Andrew Fraser (1 Viewer)

jayell

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I work on Australia’s new Student Paper, The Student Leader (leader.org.au), and am currently working on our first print edition that will come out at the beginning of Semester.

It’s a stab in the dark, but I’d like to get in contact with people who have either - taken, are taking, or will be taking a class/subject by the Law Professor, Andrew Fraser, who has been in the news recently for his controversial comments. Would also like to chat to any Mac student with strong views on the matter.

Also, if you’ve ever felt discriminated against at uni by other students or staff, I’d like you to get in contact to share your story.

I’d like to have a (confidential) chat, please email me: j.luu@leader.org.au so we can get in touch.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
You rowdy uni students really shouldn't give him a hard time for voicing his opinion (I'm well aware of the irony). You shouldn't ruin his career over a personal belief.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Gavrillo said:
You shouldn't ruin his career over a personal belief.
which he publicly advocates, you forget.

you may have the most vilifying, socially-subversive thoughts, and that is your right, but to advocate them takes it to a different sphere altogether.

i would draw a parallel between what mr fraser has said, and what mr bagaric of the deakin law school has said about torture.

their opinions, put simply, run against the grain of conventional society and anger those who believe in tolerance, compassion and democracy.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Whatever... Do you guys truely believe in free speech? I've heard so many of you talk about people like ward churchill, noam chomsky and the such and cite free speech as your reason for defending them / the fact that they're academics.

Does the same not apply for the people you disagree with? I disagree with him, but don't censor him.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Does the same not apply for the people you disagree with? I disagree with him, but don't censor him.
the more interesting question is where does free speech end?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Frigid said:
Gavrillo said:
...(I'm well aware of the irony). You shouldn't ruin his career over a personal belief.

He's not insighting hate. He's just putting another Post-It note on the RoSwall. Just another idea.

santaslayer

HSC
There aint no free speech laws in this country I didn't think...

The creature got around it by prosing it as a political/academic debate or something...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
bah, humbug! fraser owned:
Macquarie University has suspended the controversial academic Andrew Fraser from teaching, citing safety concerns to students, after he rejected an offer to pay out his contract.

It refused to sack the outspoken associate professor of public law, who backs a return to the White Australia policy, despite him embarrassing an institution with nearly a third of its students from overseas.

But yesterday he was directed to stop teaching by the university's director of human resources, Tim Sprague...

santaslayer

HSC
Frigid said:
bah, humbug! fraser owned:
LoLz, that's a nice reason why he should be suspended...

The debate over your stated views is threatening to spill over into the classroom," and such a risk to safety could not be allowed. "Your comments have elicited such a strong response from students, staff and the public that it is affecting the university's ability to operate effectively and efficiently."

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Asquithian said:
No right to freedom of speech. however he has been allowed to express his views. No one has stopped him. however the VC of Maqu is right. His suspension was for practical reasons. He was much to controversial.
I understand that, and I agree that if its causing too many problems around campus he should be kicked out. I just don't think that's why the people above me were cheering about his suspension.

I'm well aware that free speech isn't a writen right in Australia but it seems to at least be implied in several locations.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I just don't think that's why the people above me were cheering about his suspension.
it's coz frigey boy is one of the mongolian octipi who was offended by the said comments.

X

xeuyrawp

Frigid said:

you may have the most vilifying, socially-subversive thoughts, and that is your right, but to advocate them takes it to a different sphere altogether.

i would draw a parallel between what mr fraser has said, and what mr bagaric of the deakin law school has said about torture.

their opinions, put simply, run against the grain of conventional society and anger those who believe in tolerance, compassion and democracy.
I can't believe we disagree on something. Obviously this issue hits you harder than it would me because you've immigrated here, but I still think his views don't represent the university. Furthermore, I think his place as an academic is to provide an argument for something in order for us to make up our own mind.

This is neither here nor there, he's clearly racist, and that rubs me the wrong way. Furthermore, he's stupid to have said something like that, and I have a feeling that his plans for retirement gave him the nudge that "I'm out of here anyway, I mayaswell say what I think".

In slight fairness to him, his remarks would have been founded on a lot of his research, learning, and general understanding on his behalf. Still a stupid thing to say, though.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
In slight fairness to him, his remarks would have been founded on a lot of his research, learning, and general understanding on his behalf.
i doubt it. because, that is to say, he has somehow 'discovered' that african peoples are criminogenic, or that asian people are managerial, or that it is in the bests interests of australia to become white. :rolleyes:

X

xeuyrawp

Frigid said:
i doubt it. because, that is to say, he has somehow 'discovered' that african peoples are criminogenic:
I thought he "discovered" that african people increased crime?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I thought he "discovered" that african people increased crime?
he's a public law academic, not a criminal law one.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Does that mean he has less of an idea about crime than us?
from what i read, the basis of his research was that 'races' should support their own interests (to the exclusion of other 'races'). and then he somehow linked that to black ppl are criminogenic. i dunno.

as far as i know, and from the crim book by Brown et al., we established that there is no such thing as a criminogenic race. crime in general is bred through social/environmental factors, not hereditary/genetic ones.

otherwise, white australians would be a race full of the most rotten apples from england.

obviously that is something that you and i don't support. :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Frigid said:
from what i read, the basis of his research was that 'races' should support their own interests (to the exclusion of other 'races'). and then he somehow linked that to black ppl are criminogenic. i dunno.

as far as i know, and from the crim book by Brown et al., we established that there is no such thing as a criminogenic race. crime in general is bred through social/environmental factors, not hereditary/genetic ones.

otherwise, white australians would be a race full of the most rotten apples from england.

obviously that is something that you and i don't support. :)
Well I don't know about rotten apples, perhaps the ones who committed murders etc.... Also realise that convicts weren't the large % of early migrants in colonial times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)