• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

study days :) (1 Viewer)

kim_iz_yippin

HSC
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone in here is going to the Extension 2 study day at St Doms on the........3rd (?) of December? All I know is that Marlina Marchetta is a guest speaker or something

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
if its anything like the one they gave us last year then i recommend only going if you are doing a novella or some sort of story....

that was absolutely horrid, they made us "imagine" concepts from such things as carpet and unemployment.....stupid....plus they told us we were the gifted and talented, then i see one of my "gifted and talented" competition run into a door at hungry's/burger king at lunch not once, but twice....funny how she couldnt read the big pull sign.....

yeah we sorta left half way through after lunch, plus my friend who dropped out of school sorta answered half the questions as a ext 2 student which was kinda funny :)

w i l l s

cool... im planning to either do a novella or screen play
is there any more info like the exact date? :)

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
what the hell is all this novella stuff? i thought you could only do a short story? aaahh, so confused, so little guidance...my teacher just came back from leave..ah, stuff it, i'm doing a documentary anyway. what is this novella thing anyway? how long can u make it?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
that was absolutely horrid, they made us "imagine" concepts from such things as carpet and unemployment.....stupid....plus they told us we were the gifted and talented, then i see one of my "gifted and talented" competition run into a door at hungry's/burger king at lunch not once, but twice....funny how she couldnt read the big pull sign.....
ROFL.... well we are a "special" bunch of people who do extension 2!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
heheh :)

i feel sorry for her now, since i was going through my critically destroy anything at that point haha :)

Originally posted by Trigger189
what the hell is all this novella stuff? i thought you could only do a short story? aaahh, so confused, so little guidance...my teacher just came back from leave..ah, stuff it, i'm doing a documentary anyway. what is this novella thing anyway? how long can u make it?
novella = short story

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Novella is a short story (depending upon what you call a short story). It's 10,000 - 20,000 words. typed, double spaced. Entries close December 10th (today).
I was going to enter (I had half a good story) but I didn't finish, cause of too many assessments and shit

boz-foogle

Banned
Okay. Everyone thus far has been wrong. A novella is not a short story: it's a novella. Short stories are most often published in collections of around twenty or so, due to their incredibly short length. Publishing just one would be unprofitable. Hence, if you are going to do a short story, you should go for around three to fifteen depending upon how solid your concept is and how well you can sustain your writing.
For the purposes of Extension 2, one may write a novella and submit it in the short story category. It must be under 8,000 words, obviously, as anything over does not fit the requirements. If you wrote something in between 10,000 and 20,000 words it wouldn't be looked at and you'd be considered an arrogant twat for having the pomposity to expect the markers to read your story.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by boz-foogle
Okay. Everyone thus far has been wrong. A novella is not a short story: it's a novella. Short stories are most often published in collections of around twenty or so, due to their incredibly short length. Publishing just one would be unprofitable. Hence, if you are going to do a short story, you should go for around three to fifteen depending upon how solid your concept is and how well you can sustain your writing.
For the purposes of Extension 2, one may write a novella and submit it in the short story category. It must be under 8,000 words, obviously, as anything over does not fit the requirements. If you wrote something in between 10,000 and 20,000 words it wouldn't be looked at and you'd be considered an arrogant twat for having the pomposity to expect the markers to read your story.
oh come on that was semantics...that question asked within the context of this forum was answered ... novella = short story ...

onto point two : 10K - 20K i agree with ya :) ... thats just silly :) doing something that long and knowing you have hard limits...its committing suicide with n00b assistance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)