• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Study guide! (1 Viewer)

olegna

HSC
Anyone have any suggestions for a good study guide for Ancient History?

I do the options: Hatshepsut, Minoans, Pompeii & Herculaneum, and Historical period: New kingdom Egypt.

The guide should be adequate to use as a guide in studying for the Trials.

It would be great if someone who has actually bought a guide and used it could comment on their experiences and what is a good guide.

Thanks in advance!

X

xeuyrawp

olegna said:
Anyone have any suggestions for a good study guide for Ancient History?

I do the options: Hatshepsut, Minoans, Pompeii & Herculaneum, and Historical period: New kingdom Egypt.

The guide should be adequate to use as a guide in studying for the Trials.

It would be great if someone who has actually bought a guide and used it could comment on their experiences and what is a good guide.

Thanks in advance!
I've never really liked any of the study guides (Excel, Macquarie, are the two I've seen), usually because the textbooks (Lawless, Bradley, Antiquity) tend to be less superficial (although they always are superficial - a matter of practicality due to the sheer numbers of Ancient options...) yet are still digestable before the exam.

My main issue with the study guides is that they never list any good sources, which is what you actually need in the exam... Textbooks seem to do it much better.

I'd actually look into one or a few of the other textbooks, if I was you - which one are you using in class?

Last edited by a moderator:

olegna

HSC
The textbooks I am using are: Ancient Egypt (Reconstructing The Past). Bradley, AND Pompeii & Herculaneum (Hein Ancient Med Hist Srs). Iselin et al.

The thing is this: we didn't use a textbook for Hatshepsut (I think... well at least I never bought it :( .. or was that included in the "Ancient Egypt" textbook?), and there was no text book for Minoans.

X

xeuyrawp

olegna said:
The textbooks I am using are: Ancient Egypt (Reconstructing The Past). Bradley, AND Pompeii & Herculaneum (Hein Ancient Med Hist Srs). Iselin et al.

The thing is this: we didn't use a textbook for Hatshepsut (I think... well at least I never bought it :( .. or was that included in the "Ancient Egypt" textbook?), and there was no text book for Minoans.
Bradley's Egypt book does include Hatshepsut... I'd also consider getting a copy of Antiquity (or, preferably, photocopying the relevant sections).

Like I said, I'm really not fon of any of the study guides... Unless they significantly changed them since my copies. The Macquarie one is only marginally better. than the Excel one.

Lawless' book is as good as Bradley's one, I think, so consider photocopying that as well.

I don't know about the Minoans, I'm affraid. It's not in my Antiquity, and I haven't got either my Macquarie or my Excel guides with me, but I know that it's in one of them. But like I said, they're not that great.

Your best bet is to go to a library, Chatswood, Hornsby, etc, and find the books and photocopy chunks out of them. I'd suggest buying them, but the fact is that you end up only using 5-15 pages out of them, with the rest being on different periods/societies/personalities and hence totally useless.

G

Gavvvvvin

I liked the Excel one. I didnt do any study and just read that the night before the exam and still managed to pull a 89.

X

xeuyrawp

_DeathlessOne_ said:
I liked the Excel one. I didnt do any study and just read that the night before the exam and still managed to pull a 89.
Lucky you, imagine what you would have gotten if you put in even a couple of day's work...

HSC
N/A
I put in a couple of very good day's study sans a study guide and got 89 :uhhuh:

However I'm happy with that... I was expecting 63!!!!!!! (in-school assessments always came back with a mark under 70, so I wasn't expecting too much... lol)

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
i found that the macquarie one was good as a quick revision, and then had some good points you could expand on from your textbooks and stuff. Provides a good short overview of the topics - but also you need to use your textbooks and stuff, they dont really have much historiograohy, at least in 04 they didnt

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
the mac ones pretty good for minoans, but youd hsoul try and get your hands on something better

gay calender (i think that her name..she does teh study day talks in north sydney!) has a pretty handy text book that you shoudl look at (hey its been 3 yrs give me a break haha)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)