• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

study guides (1 Viewer)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
hey~
just wondering how many study guides everyone brought/used/uses in year 11 and year 12. Like excel and other and textbooks and stuff ( am i making sense)
thanks

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i bought each excel book for each subject (for both prelim/hsc) and i also had some other stuff too
i reckon all up i had about 20 different study guides (including like the revise in a month and the little palm card type things)
+ the textbooks

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
atm ive got 2 study guides for eng and planning to get one for gwen harwood and frontline. all depends on yourself and how much you need it i guess.

Giant Lobster

HSC
I havent got fully into study guides yet, but soon i will. So far Ive a small collection of text books for "learning" subjects; chem, phys, 4u math. But for english, i doubt guides would help much.

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I keep meaning to buy some, but like a typical girl I see something else that I feel I need more, and so when I go past the book shop I have no money for them.
We have quite a collection in the library, especially of Excel ones, so I don't think I'll buy any of those. Some of the others sound useful though, so I may get them sometime before exams come around.
I didn't use any in year 11, except for a maths past papers one, and still did okay. It all depends on how well you understand and learn things, and how well your teachers explain it.

aud

HSC
I had only one Excel book in Prelim - Legal.. but this year,

King Lear Excel
Emma/Clueless Excel
Frontline (going to get) <- the individual ones are better than the big Advanced English book
ME1 Excel
ME2 Excel
Patel's ME2 textbook
ME2 Exam Tips
ME2 HSC Style Questions by Topic
Legal Excel

And I'm trying to find those Legal cards... and no one writes textbooks for T&D...

I just take notes of Macquarie Legal at school, because it's so skinny

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i steer away from excel for every subject except the maths 2u practice papers collection (and a HSC Economics one that was handed down from my brother). most of my subjects dont really NEED study guides so much so i basically use those practice workbooks more than study guides

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Excel for Legal is very, very good but as with everything you need to suppliment it with your own knowledge, the textbook and maybe even the MQ. MQ is great for case studies and short summaries of them.

Some courses have a ratshit syllabus, e.g. Modern History WWI component is useless - you need a study guide to work from otherwise you're stuffed.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i have one for all my subjects.. a couple of extras for english, re and business
just use them to compare notes n stuff.. will use them later before the hsc/trials to do the practice exam

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
i had excel books for most of my subjects, except for religion and i.t

i must admit, half the books i brought i didnt even use! LOL i guess it made me feel better knowing that they were there in case i needed them :)

like all the sucess one books and stuff, i didnt even use them

so yeah, jsut think if you do actually need the book or not before buying em

but the excel summaries books are good, you can compare the info they got with other info and then you can make detailed notes :)

J0n

N/A
HSC
I got the Excel Skrzynecki study guide. I have the 2 and 3 unit Math, Physics and Chemistry pocket books - good to take to school on the day of a test for last minuite revision (i actually took one into the school certificate by accident :D) and i also have the York notes for King Lear and 1984.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Hey has anyone by the off chance got a 99 Excell Chem book - specifically one called "Study Notes"???
They don't seem to make them anymore and I have a Bio one b/c my sister did it a few yrs back for the hsc....
I'm currently doing both sciences and am finding bio heaps easier b.c of those study notes.

Anyone got any ideas...?????

I hope I'm making sense..

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i only bought past paper books, and the 50 tips book for 4u maths...besides that all my books i got them from the skool, or borrowed it from the library (for like a whole year. LoL). :D

grimreaper

HSC
Originally posted by MissMacbeth
Hey has anyone by the off chance got a 99 Excell Chem book - specifically one called "Study Notes"???
They don't seem to make them anymore and I have a Bio one b/c my sister did it a few yrs back for the hsc....
I'm currently doing both sciences and am finding bio heaps easier b.c of those study notes.

Anyone got any ideas...?????

I hope I'm making sense..
I woudln't have thought any chem book written before 2001 would help much since they changed the syllabus so much...

As for my own books, I have 3u and 4u maths excel and 50 tip books, and the macquarie revision book for chemistry (which is actually really good. I'll probably get past paper books once trials get closer

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
i didn't have any in prelim... but i've bought some for this year
i've got the 2004 adv english excel
brave new world/blade runner excel
community and family studies excel
macquarie ancient history (all in one book as opposed to two!)

planning on getting society and culture and general maths as well :) i got the ones above at a 20% off sale at Dymocks! swwweeettt :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)