Study: Moisturisers cause skin cancer (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
MOISTURISERS used by millions of people have induced skin cancer in experiments on mice, a new study says.

Researchers at Rutgers University in New Jersey tested four common skin creams on gene-altered hairless mice exposed to heavy doses of cancer-causing UV light.
The scientist who led the study cautioned that rodent skin was more sensitive than human skin, while other experts said they had reservations about the relelvance of the study's conclusions.
Rates of non-melanoma skin cancers increased between 24 and 95 per cent compared to control mice not treated with creams, the study found.
Non-melanoma skin cancer is very common in humans, and is curable surgically. In very rare cases, however, it can prove fatal.
When the scientists, led by Allan Conney, repeated the experiments with a made-to-order cream missing several suspect ingredients - including mineral oil and sodium lauryl sulphate - the cancer rates dropped sharply.
Dr Conney said further studies were needed to test the impact of topical creams on people as rodent skin, usually covered by fur, is thinner and more permeable than human skin.
His findings were published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, part of the Nature Publishing Group in Britain.
To be honest, given the limitations of the study I think we're still safe to moisturise...!

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
SHIT!

I use sorbolene cream everyday.

Do you think I'm a dead man working?

(Sorry, italics came on by accident, and I can't be fucked turining them off :))

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
isn't it walking? oh in relation to doctor chauu

BAN TESTING ON ANIMALS ffs

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
housah0lic said:
isn't it walking? oh in relation to doctor chauu

BAN TESTING ON ANIMALS ffs
hahaha yep, it is. my bad.

surely you wouldn't give a shit if a few mice died?

With that said, I'm totally against testing on other animals that aren't pests. :)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Why? Why ban on testing animals?
My research project for this semester (the topic of which has yielded important results in terms of pubertal development in humans) has been developed by using mice.

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
katie tully said:
Why? Why ban on testing animals?
My research project for this semester (the topic of which has yielded important results in terms of pubertal development in humans) has been developed by using mice.
Use mice all you like, they're good for nothing and cause lots of problems. However, testing on cows/dogs/cats/pigs etc etc, is just wrong because most of those animals are nice and cute.

Oh, and BTW, test on crabs and other crustacians (sp?) all you like, they're pretty shit too.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
nah
just want to be active against this
make it seem like i stand for something.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Be active against something else instead.

Like stupid people breeding. Be an advocate against it.

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
katie tully said:
Be active against something else instead.

Like stupid people breeding. Be an advocate against it.
I'm an advocate against Africans breeding (not africans in australia, africans in africa).

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
for me, animal testing is acceptable but not inhumanely or for ridiculous research purposes.

but animal rights isn't the topic here so...

i'll still moisturise myself but im going to have to stop my mice from doing it

baboom ching

Pace_T

HSC
yeah and breathing causes lung cancer

CieL

HSC
"Suspect ingredients.... mineral oil..."

Right.. there's johnson and johnson's baby oil fucked

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
apparently everything causes cancer these days I will still continue to use my palmers daily for my really really dry skin

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Who cares. We're all going to die of cancer one day. Might as well have nice skin til then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)