• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

study question (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok guys, its come to the time of the semester that i finally get a chance to study!
yay...
my question is, my lecturers often say 'use my lecture slides for the basis of your study, you don't need to know anything outside of that'...but how much should the lecture slides comprise? should they be 50% of our study, or 75% or what....
am i even making sense? i doubt it.
i need to do well, but i dont know how much i need to do to do well..

Generator

HSC
N/A
It would vary with the subject and the material supplied by the lecturer.

As they say, use the lecture notes/tutorial work as a base, and then make use of the additional texts if you feel that they are needed.

That is all that I can really say on the matter. Only you can determine what you need to do in order to go very well (a tutor could offer advice, though).

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
They can only assess material presented in lectures.

Ninga

HSC
They should also supply a trial paper. Well, all my subjects have. And from what i can remember, all the subjects i've ever done have supplied a trial paper, or posted questions that could be done for practice. Mainly before mid sessions or end of session exams though. I know it's a common practice for science subjects, not quite sure about Psych though. And not sure if that varies from university to university. I think science subjects might be able to test on some practical material too. But I guess practical material is usually covered in lectures too. Maybe you should be directing this question to your respective lecturers.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yeh as I about to say, most of the time, they pretty much just assess what's presented in the lecture slides only. But if you don't understand the lecture slides, then you read the textbook for more information. Even if they say they only test stuff from the lecture slides, it might require you to read the textbook for more in depth information.

santaslayer

HSC
for all my lectures so far, i have asked the same question as u jess, and all of them tell me to both read the book and learn the slides.
the only exception is accounting, where i just learn the slides.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I seem to be going quite well so far by just reading the textbook, listening to the lectures (no summary involved):).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Oh, I almost forgot, make sure you do all the exercises required each week. It helps me to retain the information by working through the problems:).

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Usually they'll give you a brief description on whats going to be in the exams beforehand, so just use that as a guide and know a little bit about everything. Use the lecture slides as points to study and then study a bit more in depth about what the slides are saying from the textbook and associated readings.

Although if you're a total bastard like my Marketing lecturuer, you'll get told that anything will be tested including specific examples given to us in lectures such as what the GDP spent on health in 2003 was.... even though it has nothing to do with marketing concepts. But not every lecturer is so anal.

addz

HSC
i read the textbook..just like during hsc
its more reading and it might not be worth it in the end but it gives more detail and that usually helps me to remember other things about the subject that assists whne your studying...but thats just me i guess

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
They can only assess material presented in lectures.
yep, and hence they show u 100% of the content...but ofcourse u need to do background reading and stuff- but thats just to help understand the lecture slides even better. :)

Ribbon

I reccomend doing all the ''review questions' for the chapters we had been asked to read for commerce subjects, and borrowing a second 'general' textbook from the library for law subjects and reading the relevant chapters (ie only the stuff you have done in class!) gives you another perspective and rams some stuff home that you might not have thought of otherwise (ie diff texts emphasise diff things)...

for other subjects I can't really comment cos I don't do them :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
I tend to compliment the lecture notes with a good textbook, especially for topics of more difficult nature.

Infact, I often find myself just going off the textbook wholly, if time allows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)