study (1 Viewer)

Fido

hey, just out of curiosity, HOW the hell does/did anyone else study for latin? i find it practically impossible past just reading over the translation!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Advice, in short: Make sure you understand the Latin and how it works to produce a translation. By doing that you do grammar, possibly language features, and general commenting. Also read the rest of the set text, so that you'll be able to recognise where an unseen is from and what it is about.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Rote learning 1500 lines isn't as easy as one might think, so best get into a good habit. :cool:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
Rote learning 1500 lines isn't as easy as one might think, so best get into a good habit. :cool:
just try me flyin' - went through all of Aeneid V 400 lines in one night... eyeballs went like this: o_O

actually kids, get into a good habit, know your grammar, know your vocab - the basics of which are 'who (nominative) is doing what (verb) to whom (accusative)?'... just study and you will be fine.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
haha yes, study!

what i did was pretty much memorise the whole thing, while going thru the translation and understanding which english words corresponded to which latin words.

tbh, if you asked me to do it again, i couldn't :p

laney

HSC
i learnt it by basically just reading the english over and over.
then there was the stage where if i recognised about 2 latin words in the sentence i knew the rest of the sentence in english and i'd have no idea what the other latin words in the sentence meant.
i didn't know nearly as much vocab as i should have either so i totally bombed out in the unseen.
and if your situation is like mine where you don't know enough vocab, starting learning NOW!! make sure you know how all the grammar all fits together so at least you can do unseens, or if you forget how a particular sentence goes in latin, you can work it out by making educational guesses :)

two years on, and i miss latin.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
latin is my opiate,
the sure rock in a raging inconstant sea of dreams,
the neverfailing soldier in an army of bastardised semantics,
the fix'd pole of the changing heavens.

laney

HSC
hehe, i did quite badly in comparison to other latin people.
i got 81 i think for 2Unit latin
and 39/50 for 3Unit
see...badly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)