• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Studying At Uni (1 Viewer)

fishfingerz

HSC
What do you do? In high school I usually just read and made notes from the textbook and they were more than sufficient. I pretty much memorised my notes which were taken directly from the textbook, and some in my own words. Anyways, at uni they are all bitching about plagiarism and referencing, etc and talking about reading all these different academic journals etc. High school was so simple. Just read and KNOW the textbook, and that would suffice. I know for assignments I use plenty of sources which I reference and stuff, but how do you guys study for your subject? Do you download the lecture notes and combine em or use various sources? Does anyone just use the textbook to study for the exams? And actually rewrite what was written in the textbook in the exam paper? Would that be plagiarism then? In a closed book exam? I dunno...so confused because I rely heavily on the textbook for each unit.

terminator69

HSC
What do you do? In high school I usually just read and made notes from the textbook and they were more than sufficient. I pretty much memorised my notes which were taken directly from the textbook, and some in my own words. Anyways, at uni they are all bitching about plagiarism and referencing, etc and talking about reading all these different academic journals etc. High school was so simple. Just read and KNOW the textbook, and that would suffice. I know for assignments I use plenty of sources which I reference and stuff, but how do you guys study for your subject? Do you download the lecture notes and combine em or use various sources? Does anyone just use the textbook to study for the exams? And actually rewrite what was written in the textbook in the exam paper? Would that be plagiarism then? In a closed book exam? I dunno...so confused because I rely heavily on the textbook for each unit.
You don't seem to be very familiar with what plagiarism is. You aren't presenting anything as your own so plagiarism isn't a factor at all here.

Reading study notes and extracts from the textbook is all i usually do. I plan to start writing summaries from the textbook but because textbooks are so long it's hard for me to how much to condense it down to.. because if I include too much in my notes they will just go on forever and I'll get bored writing so much.

Exams are largely based on lecture notes anyway so it's best to just study those hard and cross reference textbooks for elaboration on topics in lecture notes.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
The universities hit you hard for plagiarism if you fail to cite works in assignments from sources such as journal articles. I would find it hard to comprehend university markers scouring the internet to find if you plagiarised on a written exam.

Good to see there's another Toon Supporter around as well. :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)