• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

studying Chinese at Uni? (1 Viewer)

N.U.G.

HSC
hey guys,

if someone wanted to do a course to really learn about Chinese langgue, culture and maybe even history... can that be done at Uni? any advice?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
N.U.G. said:
hey guys,

if someone wanted to do a course to really learn about Chinese langgue, culture and maybe even history... can that be done at Uni? any advice?
Yeah of course, I studied Chinese for 6 months at the ANU under a B Asian Studies, though as santa said, you could study Chinese/Chinese history at pretty much any university. However, since ANU has the asian studies degree (and an asian studies faculty) I think that you'd be pretty safe in assuming that they would have a larger range of histories and other arts type subjects relevant to what you're interested in.

At ANU Chinese in your first year is double weighted, which means that it's worth 12 credit points (or half a full load of 24) and is quite alot of work. If you're doing a combined degree, Chinese will be the only Asian Studies course that you'll be able to do in your first year.

If you've got any general questions about ANU I'd be happy to answer them for you :p

santaslayer

HSC
neo_o said:
Yeah of course, I studied Chinese for 6 months at the ANU under a B Asian Studies, though as santa said, you could study Chinese/Chinese history at pretty much any university. However, since ANU has the asian studies degree (and an asian studies faculty) I think that you'd be pretty safe in assuming that they would have a larger range of histories and other arts type subjects relevant to what you're interested in.

At ANU Chinese in your first year is double weighted, which means that it's worth 12 credit points (or half a full load of 24) and is quite alot of work. If you're doing a combined degree, Chinese will be the only Asian Studies course that you'll be able to do in your first year.

If you've got any general questions about ANU I'd be happy to answer them for you :p
Why did you transfer to a degrading Science degree? :p
Asian Studies is very good at ANU!

phrred

HSC
ye im doin Chinese Studies at UNSW... we do language and a culture component which includes history, Mao Zedong, literature, poetry, philosphers and all that stuff.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
santaslayer said:
Why did you transfer to a degrading Science degree? :p
Asian Studies is very good at ANU!
1) Science is awesome
2) Try studying law and a language. Then try studying law and CHINESE.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Why come to Australia and study Chinese studies? Seems stupid.

But I suppose the best campus outside of china would be UNSW...for obvious reasons.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was wondering what kind of career Chinese Studies leads to o_O If it was merely an interest and not a passion you could always study the language and some Chinese mythology at a local Chinese school at night or on weekends-

santaslayer

HSC
LoLz. The Chinese market is slowly opening up. To have some knowledge in Chinese language and culture is beneficial to EVERYONE.

seremify007, I actually did that. For 12 fucking years. :p

So yes neo_o, I have tried studying law and Chinese. :p

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
But surely you don't need to waste a few years on an arts degree. There's books all over the shop about language, culture and suchsuch.

I'm also quite sure they won't ask you for a degree in Chinese culture in order to work for them.

santaslayer

HSC
Meldrum said:
But surely you don't need to waste a few years on an arts degree. There's books all over the shop about language, culture and suchsuch.

I'm also quite sure they won't ask you for a degree in Chinese culture in order to work for them.
It'd be a very nice complement to say, a commerce or engineering degree. (Which ANU has. I'm talking about the asian studies ANU offers, not a general arts degree.-EDIT: Hell, ANU even offers a B Asian Studies/ B Arts double degree. :p)

But to answer your question, it is dependent upon what majors you do. Some examples of job opportunities include:

1) Marketing
2) Banking and Finance
3) International Trade
4) Tourist Industry
5) Federal and State government Departments (LOTS!)
6) Media
7) Translation

For Postgrads:

1) Training
2) Teaching

Interpreting the above post, you don't seem to have a problem with the Asian Studies degree but rather, the arts degree in general. :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have always thought of learning Chinese as more of a side-thing skill which you add to yourself rather than your primary focus of your degree... but if you want to do something Chinese/Asian- good on you!

Btw I did Chinese school too... Dropped out after 3rd grade >_> I couldn't bear to wake up at 8:30am on saturday for 2hrs of listening to fobs... but then if life couldn't get any worse- my Mum signed me up for piano lessons at 7:30am for half an hr each. I figured- half an hour of piano and then Maccas breakfast every week was better than 2 hours of Chinese school and DIY breakfast.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
santaslayer said:
It'd be a very nice complement to say, a commerce or engineering degree. (Which ANU has. I'm talking about the asian studies ANU offers, not a general arts degree.-EDIT: Hell, ANU even offers a B Asian Studies/ B Arts double degree. :p)

But to answer your question, it is dependent upon what majors you do. Some examples of job opportunities include:

1) Marketing
2) Banking and Finance
3) International Trade
4) Tourist Industry
5) Federal and State government Departments (LOTS!)
6) Media
7) Translation

For Postgrads:

1) Training
2) Teaching

Interpreting the above post, you don't seem to have a problem with the Asian Studies degree but rather, the arts degree in general. :p
No no no! I've not got a problem at all with the arts degree - I hate those snobs. Rather, I don't think there should be a whole degree on it.

As for the other aspects, such as marketing and media, I think they should be electives within other degrees...Eco, Commu, Comme mainly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)