Subject Choices (1 Viewer)

RoToR BlaD3

HSC
Hey BoS Community,
Currently am doing 12 units (check signature) and am tossing up dropping Modern History, in which I am getting consistent meh marks of 70% and picking up Japanese Extension (currently getting 85+ in Japanese Continuers). The Modern workload just seems so totally separate to my other subjects and my goal, plus the fact that I am not doing too crash hot in it is influencing my decision. My Modern teacher says that there is plenty of time to work on my mark and I shouldn't drop, but I'm not too sure… :/ Does Modern scale well?

Do you guys have any recommendations? I really enjoy Japanese, but is it a good idea to drop down to 11 units, dropping Modern and picking up Japanese Extension and lose that extra unit buffer zone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Japanese scales significantly better than Modern History, you are doing much better in Japanese, and you seem to like Japanese better.
So the choice between the two subject should be easy.

Considering the difference in scaling and your marks for each subjects, the only buffer you will need is against Modern. Depending on your performance in other subjects, it is likely that Modern will just be a dead weight for you.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
It seems like you're ready to drop modern, but you're only held back by your teacher haha I think you should go for jap ext because you sound much more inclined to do it. (They always say you can do better to keep students in! It happened to my friend where everyone tried to convince her to drop maths ext 2 in favour for modern)

Also, 11 units is fine. You still have an extra unit for back up and it's a much smaller workload than 12 units.

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RoToR BlaD3

HSC
Thank you very much for the advice. :)
What you've said pretty much hits the nail on the head.
Good luck to you two!

sadgal

HSC
hey
In your place I'd definitely drop modern history. If you're worried about removing the buffer zone- I feel like there's no point in having a backup if you wont do well in said back up+ you wont need a back up as much if you're doing 11 units because there's that extra time to work at improving marks in the subjects you're doing. Hope I helped!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)