Subject help! (1 Viewer)

YOLO_SWAYG

HSC
N/A
Hi!

Okay, so I'm in the process of what subject/s I should drop and pick up. At the moment, I'm pretty firm with keeping English ADV (well it's compulsory, hah), Mathematics and Economics. The subjects which I'm slightly iffy about are Mathematics Extension 1 (more firm), Biology, Ancient History and Japanese Beginners. The one's I'm considering picking up are History Extension and Mathematics Extension 2 if I'm eligible. I know everyone says you should keep subjects which you find interest in but I made the idiotic mistake of not taking Year 11 that seriously so I don't exactly have a 100% clear idea of what I'm best at and what I'm not. For Ancient and Japanese I had really similar rankings but my marks were completely different, Band 5 and Band 6 respectively (in my half-yearly report). Ancient History is also a tricky subject which I can't decide whether I like it or hate it. Towards the end of Year 11 I loathed the subject. Didn't want to learn it, read it, study it. I'm kicking myself for not choosing Modern History instead. Then again, looking at the Year 12 content I don't think it looks as bad but I just... don't know. With Biology I wasn't in the top 15 and I find it a subject which I find harder to understand compared to other subjects but I enjoy searching for resources and somewhat enjoy studying it. Soooo yeah. I'd appreciate any sort of advice and if anyone could share their experiences with any of the subjects I'm considering picking up or ones I've mentioned I'd be really thankful.

PS. I am taking into account scaling, Year 11 ranks and enjoyment as a factors in my decision-making.

HSC
You have to be strong at Ext Maths to handle Ext 2. A lot of people in my grade picked Ext 2 and realised it was too all too much and dropped at the end of first term of the new year. Ancient history isn't too bad in year 12 (it's one of my favourite subjects). I think you should just do all the subjects you want right now in term 4 and by the end of the year or early on in the new year you can drop the ones you don't like. Remember it's not all about scaling because you need to enjoy the subject too. You won't study for something you don't like.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Hi!

Okay, so I'm in the process of what subject/s I should drop and pick up. At the moment, I'm pretty firm with keeping English ADV (well it's compulsory, hah), Mathematics and Economics. The subjects which I'm slightly iffy about are Mathematics Extension 1 (more firm), Biology, Ancient History and Japanese Beginners. The one's I'm considering picking up are History Extension and Mathematics Extension 2 if I'm eligible. I know everyone says you should keep subjects which you find interest in but I made the idiotic mistake of not taking Year 11 that seriously so I don't exactly have a 100% clear idea of what I'm best at and what I'm not. For Ancient and Japanese I had really similar rankings but my marks were completely different, Band 5 and Band 6 respectively (in my half-yearly report). Ancient History is also a tricky subject which I can't decide whether I like it or hate it. Towards the end of Year 11 I loathed the subject. Didn't want to learn it, read it, study it. I'm kicking myself for not choosing Modern History instead. Then again, looking at the Year 12 content I don't think it looks as bad but I just... don't know. With Biology I wasn't in the top 15 and I find it a subject which I find harder to understand compared to other subjects but I enjoy searching for resources and somewhat enjoy studying it. Soooo yeah. I'd appreciate any sort of advice and if anyone could share their experiences with any of the subjects I'm considering picking up or ones I've mentioned I'd be really thankful.

PS. I am taking into account scaling, Year 11 ranks and enjoyment as a factors in my decision-making.
If you're iffy about keeping mx1, why would you pick up ext 2 maths? Mx2 sounds very gruelling and difficult so keep that in mind when oh are deciding what to pick up.

It sounds like you are more inclined to drop ancient history. But what I would do is draw up a table with the positives and negatives of each subject, with an enjoyment and difficulty scale from 0-100, with zero being the least and 100 at the most. Also write your respective rankings and marks so you get a better scope of how you are doing in that subject. That should clarify your feelings towards each subject a bit more. I did that as well to decide between two subjects and it was helpful to an extent because it showed I was more skewed to doing a subject, despite similar marks and ranks.

Good luck with your choices and I hope it all works out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Also don't worry too much about scaling because I did initially and realised that I was doing much better in my lower scaling subject than my higher scaling subject. That meant that no matter what scaling occurred in physics, I would've done better in food tech :) so don't make that a priority when choosing your subjects. Enjoyment, how well you do relative to your cohort and usefulness for future career paths are better factors when deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

YOLO_SWAYG

HSC
N/A
If you're iffy about keeping mx1, why would you pick up ext 2 maths? Mx2 sounds very gruelling and difficult so keep that in mind when oh are deciding what to pick up.

It sounds like you are more inclined to drop ancient history. But what I would do is draw up a table with the positives and negatives of each subject, with an enjoyment and difficulty scale from 0-100, with zero being the least and 100 at the most. Also write your respective rankings and marks so you get a better scope of how you are doing in that subject. That should clarify your feelings towards each subject a bit more. I did that as well to decide between two subjects and it was helpful to an extent because it showed I was more skewed to doing a subject, despite similar marks and ranks.

Good luck with your choices and I hope it all works out :)
Thank you for your advice! I'm curious, what subjects are you doing? :D

noodlesareyum

HSC
I recommend you to pick up 4u maths and TRY it.. see whether you get good assessment marks or not. 4u will make 3u seem a lot easier.
but it takes a lot of your time. drop japanese beginners, lowest scaling subject of yours, but if you truly enjoy it and are determined to do well, then of course keep it :)
best of luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)