subject selection choices (1 Viewer)

shayan.xy

HSC
hi there I've narrowed down my subject selection choices to the following for y11. since I take accelerated economics, i complete the hsc for it in y11. i have no capacity to drop any subjects in y12 as my eco is already dropped, meaning whatever i do in y11 i probably have to do in y12. I've heard that doing an extension is worth as much as doing another subject, is that true?

these are my three choices for y11
--> 3u ENG 3u MATH, Bio, Legal Studies, AccEco

--> 3u Eng 2u MATH, Bio, Legal Studies, Chem, AccEco

I'm more leaning towards the first option but it feels like I'll have to be overworked for them....i originally was going to do chem instead of legal but i realised how bad i was at it lol. any advice would be greatly appreciated :)))
thankyouu

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Extension subjects count as separate subjects (you are given separate final marks for them), with some Extension subjects scaling quite well, the main example being Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2. Extension subjects may as a result be worth as much as doing another subject, provided the student is capable of performing well in the Extension subject.

Year 11 is good in the sense that it allows you to thoroughly experience all of your subjects and determine the best combination of subjects to have as you commence year 12. The problem in your case, however, is that you'll have to keep the same year 11 subjects you took in year 12.

If you are 100% sure of your academic capabilities across all of your subjects, the first option would probably be viable. It's also important that you are capable of managing your workload, i.e. being able to regularly study and stay up-to-date with content across all your subjects, which brings me to my next point:

English Extension 1 is not said to scale that well (particularly when compared with Mathematics Extension 1). If you have picked English Extension 1 solely due to the fact that it's an Extension subject and that it will help you due to scaling, you should probably reconsider this choice. English Advanced scales relatively well, but I don't think that doing English Extension 1 in addition to Advanced would be the best choice. Keep in mind that you will be doing HSC Economics in year 11, and this is definitely something that should have your attention as it will count towards your ATAR, whereas your other subjects currently won't. Having said that, I believe taking Mathematics Extension 1 is a good choice, provided you are able to perform well in it, as it is a good scaling subject.

This is the combination of subjects I believe you should consider for year 11:
  • English Advanced
  • Mathematics Advanced
  • Mathematics Extension 1
  • Biology
  • Legal Studies
  • Economics (Accelerated)

I hope this helps! :D

shayan.xy

HSC
If I had the option to pick your combination of subjects I would hahah but it only adds up to 11 units and so I'd have to take another subject which would have to be chem or business, either of which I'm not interested in. That's why to add up to 12 I decided to take English extension as well :( Thank you for your response!!!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If I had the option to pick your combination of subjects I would hahah but it only adds up to 11 units and so I'd have to take another subject which would have to be chem or business, either of which I'm not interested in. That's why to add up to 12 I decided to take English extension as well :( Thank you for your response!!!
Apologies! Yes in that case you should definitely go with the first option, as it would be better in terms of your interests and the number of units. The only problem might be the workload, but since this is year 11, you will primarily be focusing on HSC Economics, for the reason I mentioned above. Once you move into year 12, your workload will decrease significantly, as you will no longer have to worry about studying for Economics and will be able to concentrate on achieving good results in the rest of your subjects! :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)