Subject selection for semester 1 (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I, like others, am pretty sure of which course I want to take, but not so solid on the actual subjects I want to do in first year. Is it true that I need to choose which subjects to take on enrollment day? If so, when do they tell us which subjects we can and can't take (eg prohibitions etc)?

Also, if I do figure out my subjects now, will I be able to request the list of prescribed texts for each so I can buy them? I figure if I canvas the second hand bookstore on campus when the offers have just come out I can probably find the books I want without trouble. Thanks a lot for your help everyone.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
most first year courses don't have much more than 1 elective, if any at all.. the majority are core subjects which you have to do.

and yeah what he ^^ said, you have i think about 2 weeks to change and finalise subjects after uni starts

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Is it possible that subjects can be 'booked out' because too many people wanna do them? What happens then?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
also, do they tell me when my lecs tutes and labs are on, or do i get to pick the times, and if i get to pick them, when and how do i do that?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
also, i pretty much know which subjects im going to take, how do i find out what books i will need?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
If you get to pick your labs and tuts, then this usually happens either at enrolment, or in your first lecture. If not, then they will just allocate you and you'll find out somehow. Usually for lectures, you can attend whichever lecture suits you best (but sometimes there is only 1 available).

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
also, i pretty much know which subjects im going to take, how do i find out what books i will need?
If your uni's bookshop has a website it might have a search facility for you to find texts recommended for subjects (UNSW does). I don't suggest you rush it though - the lecturers will usually tell you in first week whether something is really really necessary.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yup that website is pretty handy, as I mentioned somewhere else. Usually the Semester 1 lists are available a few weeks before uni starts. On the other hand, if your subjects are available in summer school, then you might be able to look up the textbook using that website at the moment, and see what book they are using.

If anyone wants to know the textbooks they used last year (2003) for first year subjects in BScIT and BBusiness (some subjects) at UTS, then just ask here and I'll post them. Most of the textbooks should remain the same, and even if they don't, you can use them as a guide.

The uni libraries might have some for you to look at, or you could even go to the co-op bookshop and browse the books there. Just a few ideas for all you keen people!

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
Not really for first year subjects (and definantly not for core units), but for senior units YES!
omg what happens then???????

maniacguy

If too many people have enrolled in the subject you want to do, then you go to the school office and ask them to enrol you. They'll usually book a bigger theatre once they realize lots of people want to do the subject. After all, if everyone wants to do THAT subject, there are other subjects that must be getting fewer people...

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by maniacguy
If too many people have enrolled in the subject you want to do, then you go to the school office and ask them to enrol you. They'll usually book a bigger theatre once they realize lots of people want to do the subject. After all, if everyone wants to do THAT subject, there are other subjects that must be getting fewer people...
ohhhhhh goood

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)