Subject Selection Help !!!!! (1 Viewer)

greendaylover23

HSC
I'm in yr 10 rn but for yr 11 & 12, I plan on doing:

eng adv ( i do well in yr 10 eng)
math adv (solely because my math teacher gave a personal recommendation)
bio
chem (I understand year 10 chemistry topic is wayyy different to the year 11 & 12 one but I enjoyed the subject coz it made me feel smart). how much math is really involved in chem?

engineering studies (i could swap this out for something else but idk what)
studies of religion 2U (catholic school)

IDK if I'll burn myself out by the workload. My maths teacher gave a personal recommendation for me to do math adv. However, in yr 9 I was in 5.3 (I never paid full attention in class) so got moved down in year 10 to 5.2 A.

I'm not sure what exactly I would do in the future. All I know is I'm interested in the medical/health care field and I want to go to a good uni.

How exactly should I organise my work? Would I get burnt out very quickly? I wanted to pick a subject that included some sort of practical (lowkey thinking about timber rn, I don't want to do SLR, isn't engineering studies a very theory-based subject?)

I tend to like subjects that I do good in

Any form of advice is appreciated :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You should probably go into year 11 with your current subject selection, which will allow you to have a good idea of each subject as you progress through year 11, and which subject(s) you might potentially end up dropping.

Regarding more practical (such as Industrial Technology) vs more theoretical subjects (such as Engineering Studies), keep in mind that you will have to sit the HSC exam for both types of subjects, meaning your knowledge of theory will be important in both types of subjects.

In addition to possibly picking Industrial Technology, have you also thought about Design and Technology (D&T)? I believe this subject also incorporates both an HSC exam and a practical examination (Major Work Project) so I thought I'd suggest this subject. It's also good that you don't want to take SLR, because this subject doesn't count towards your ATAR and will likely be a waste of time and effort.

Commencing year 11 with 14 units will likely result in a heavy workload, but that depends on the student, as some students manage to cope with the workload, while others don't. Remember that your year 11 marks don't count towards your ATAR so you should really use this year to thoroughly explore all your subjects and determine the best possible combination you should have as you start year 12.

I hope this helps! 😄

may22

HSC
how much math is really involved in chem?
I'm doing prelim chem right now. I wouldn't say the math is too hard, it's definitely not crazy difficult. I think just make sure you are comfortable with rearranging equations to solve for whatever is asked for, be able to do a bunch of conversions, and making sure you understand the process used in some topics to find whatever you need to.

In all honesty, I haven't started with Module 4 yet, which is apparently the hardest in the prelim course, but I can say this for the other three:

Module 1: this literally felt like a revision of Year 10, with a few more concepts thrown in that weren't really all that difficult. Make sure you don't get overconfident or you'll become complacent
Module 2: this was the math part, but again as long as you understand the process, and know how to rearrange the formulas and stuff like that, you'll be fine.
Module 3: again, quite a bit of math; again, nothing too wacky. Understanding the actual process is key here, as it can get quite confusing, so you'll want to know exactly what is happening in your working out and how you're going to get to the final result.

Like I said before, I can't speak for Mod 4.

Good luck with your studies :)

greendaylover23

HSC
Thank you for your help, I haven't thought about picking Design & Technology. I really appreciate your advice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)