subject selections soon, need advice (math ext1) (1 Viewer)

isho-3

HSC
so subject selections are due on wed and i've been obsessively stalking bos so that i won't regret any of my decisions, but i'm still pretty wishy-washy on one of my selections, namely math ext1.

my current selection is: eng-3u, math-2/3u, bio, chinese cont., drama, entertainment(vet)
which, if i chose to do math ext1, adds up to 14 units.

but w/ my plan to try to get to 4u eng in y12, i have no idea if i want to actually take on math ext1. i don't really know what it'd be like in math ext1 bc i'm not currently in math accel. for y10, and if i'm being honest i'm only considering it bc 1) i'm already doing really well in advanced maths (consistently getting ~90% of tests, material is easy for me) and 2) i'm worried that the teachers might push back against me taking 4u eng and want to have it as a backup in case needling them doesn't work. bad thing about this is that i don't have proper passion for the subject? like i don't know if i'll regret it and do shit at it/stress too much about getting good grades there that it starts taking up too much of my time studying. idk i'm still not sure and i was hoping that people who've taken math ext1 can give me advice regarding this?? i sincerely do not want to be dropping anything in the middle of the school year regardless of that fact that i can drop it (bc then it feels like a huge waste of my time), so yeah

Shavi Masee

HSC
I'm in year 10 aswell, this is some stuff that I think.
If you're really interested and performing really well in math go for 3u imo. I really wanted to do it but I performed shit in my most recent exam so my teacher isn't recommending it for me anymore. I normally get 90+ aswell.
Do you have any idea of what courses you wanna do and do you want/need a high atar?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Normally, I would suggest taking a subject that you are contemplating in year 11 and use the year to fully experience it, which would allow you to make a more informed decision regarding whether the subject is for you based on your experience. At the same time, there would be no cost of achieving unfavourable results because none of your year 11 results count towards your HSC results or ATAR. However, your perspective seems to be that taking Mathematics Extension 1 in year 11 and then dropping it is not a good course of action because you consider it a potential waste of time. This, coupled with your intention of taking English Extension 2 in year 12, means that you probably should not take Mathematics Extension 1, and instead focus your efforts towards favourable performance in English Extension 1 and the rest of your subjects.

Another element that you may wish to consider is your study interests beyond the HSC. This can help you choose subjects that will be more useful/relevant for you. If you are not interested in studying a field that focuses heavily on maths, there may not be a strong justification to take Mathematics Extension 1, especially when knowledge gained from Mathematics Advanced is sufficient for many fields.

I hope this helps! 😀

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)