• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subjects (1 Viewer)

anonymous4

HSC
I have to pick my subjects for year 11. I want to gain an ATAR above 95 and I am good at both humanitarian subjects and am considering a science.
I know that I am definitely doing 3 unit maths, 3 unit English, 2 unit studies of religion.

I need help choosing 3 subjects between: economics, business, modern history and chemistry

I was considering business because it would be good with economics and a more east laid back subject considering my subjects are pretty heavy. I'm leaning towards doing something humanitarian like law at uni so I don't really need chemistry but I hear that it gives a high ATAR if you do well. What do you think?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Do the subjects you're good at. So do all the humanities. You'll only get a high ATAR with chemistry if you perform well in chemistry.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
It sounds like you would be better off doing business and eco. Don't take chemistry just for the scaling.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I have to pick my subjects for year 11. I want to gain an ATAR above 95 and I am good at both humanitarian subjects and am considering a science.
I know that I am definitely doing 3 unit maths, 3 unit English, 2 unit studies of religion.

I need help choosing 3 subjects between: economics, business, modern history and chemistry

I was considering business because it would be good with economics and a more east laid back subject considering my subjects are pretty heavy. I'm leaning towards doing something humanitarian like law at uni so I don't really need chemistry but I hear that it gives a high ATAR if you do well. What do you think?
yeah brah ! economics, chemistry, business, 3u maths and english 99.95 atar easy moeydw

anonymous4

HSC
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I am pretty good at chemistry as well that's why I'm confused

enoilgam

HSC
When deciding upon subjects, I think you should look at the following criteria (listed in order of importance):

1) Which subject will I do best in?
2) Which subject do I like more?
3) Which do I need for my degree
4) Scaling

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
yes, it's good to do a more laid back subject, you'll thank yourself during the year!
Don't do chemistry unless you are really good at science and dedicated. Chemistry is not easy, most chemistry students who perform well get tutoring because the concepts and ideas are quite difficult to grasp. To gain a band 6 in Chemistry you only have to get 76-78. It may seem low but that's because it is quite difficult to get a band 6 in chemistry. If you are thinking of Law, perhaps consider Modern History. If you are good at writing that's one bonus. Modern History will open you up to issues in society, make you more aware, knowledge of events in modern history and would be useful for as aspiring law student. Also Modern History scales considerably better than Business studies if you are thinking of scaling.
Economics scales very well, but it is harder than Modern History. But you can try it out. Business studies is a good subject if you don't want to much stress but it doesn't scale so well. A lot of people take Economics and Business feeling they compliment each other and they do, but this is not necessary. You don't absolutely need to do both together. :) Good luck with your selection! If you do 12 units you'll get study periods anyway because you do two extension subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)