• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sulfur and Nitrogen (1 Viewer)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Hey, i have never properly understood these dot points and i doubt i ever will. could someone please explain them in simple language that will stick to my thick brain! thanks

*Describe, using equations, examples of chemical reactions which release sulfur dioxide and chemical reactions which release oxides of nitrogen.

*Assess the evidence which indicates increases in atmospheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen

jetfan

Half Back Flanker
HSC
*Describe, using equations, examples of chemical reactions which release sulfur dioxide and chemical reactions which release oxides of nitrogen.

Just a simple roasting of Sulfur in air should suffice for this i think:
S(s) + O2(g) --> SO2(g) - this is used in industrial plants and the emissions can be released into the atmosphere, causing air pollution and acid rain

Nitric oxide can be formed from lightning and combustion engines. Because of the high temperatures, high energy is present and the nitrogen and oxygen gases react.

N2(g) + O2(g) -->(with heat) 2NO(g)

This can then gradually react with O2 to form NO2.

2NO(g) + O2(g) --> 2NO2(g)

This mix of NO and NO2 is commonly referred to as NOx, and this can lead to nitric acid in the atmosphere and another form of acid rain

*Assess the evidence which indicates increases in atmospheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen

Acid rain is a good indicator, also the levels of haze in cities and industrial areas. Also the increased acidity of water bodies is a good indicator, research thesse and others to create your own assessment. Hope this helps

--jetfan--

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
For the first one:

Sulfur: Extracting metal from metal ores, burning coal, geothermal hot springs, volcanoes, and sometimes burning petrol.

ZnS(s) + O2(g) → Zn(s) + SO2(g)

Nitrogen: Nitrogenous fertiliser, combustion, lightening - at the very high temperatures generated by lightning, atmospheric nitrogen and oxygen combine to form nitric oxide:

N(g) + O(g) → NO(g)

The NO reacts with oxygen gas:

2NO(g) + O2(g) → 2NO2(g)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
thanks jetfan and dreamerish.

there's just one more thing i don't understand. how are we able to measure the levels of haze in the cities and industrial areas and how is that related to sulfur and nitrogen oxides?

thanks alot:)

jetfan

Half Back Flanker
HSC
I wasn't sure if we needed to know how to measure smog but I read an article on how they measure ozone levels, they shine an ultraviolet torch thru a tube of the test air. The amount of light that passes thru is recorded, kind of like AAS. I'm not sure if this applies to sulfur/nitrogen tho, because it relies on the absorption of UV light, just a theory tho, hop it helps

--jetfan--

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)