• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Summer @ NIDA (1 Viewer)

Kean

HSC
My friend and I are going to do a Summer @ NIDA week course up in Brisbane in January. We are so excited about going, it cost $500 but I think it is truely worth it. Is anyone else going to do and of the Summer @ NIDA courses?

P.S If you don't know what NIDA is God help you ;)

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Ha... I'd keep my $500 dollars to spend on a holiday... rather then go to a week long course where you can learn some of the skills to survive at a tertiary education center which demands perfection and will send you into the workforce in a job that has a very high unemployment rate.

A nice summer holiday for a week is possible with $500. Soaking it up in queensland, and getting a stable job... sounds good to me.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

Kean

HSC
Well obviously acting isn't your thing but for me it is. I'm very passionate about acting and I have been that way since i was like 11. I'm not being big headed but I know Im good at what I do.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Better education through Theatre Appreciation in my View

Good Morning Kean,
Obviously, you're enthusiastic. Thats a good thing. I've done one of these courses (Winter @ NIDA Open Touring Program 2003) and I didn't find it worthwhile. I've been doing acting since I was 8, technical theatre production since I was 16. There wasn't anything groundbreakingly satisfying about it. It was just a fun week...that cost $440. Honestly, tertiary is better and doing NIDA short courses aren't all that impressive on the CV despite common misconception. It just shows you have the money.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
ouch... that was a quick blow to reality.....

honest question skillo... do you find acting rewarding.. i mean... i would love to go into the field. but.. its just so disheartening when u realise just how many young talented people are out there...... quite a shock from my dreamworld into harsh reality

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
Yes. It was a harsh blow (have to admit I was in a blunt mood) but now that I'm a little wiser about what I'm going into, I stand by what I said. I've been talking to people in the industry and a degree (teritary) from NIDA is an excellent reference to your 'skill'. However, over the last 3 or so years, people have been questioning the teaching practices of NIDA. The concept that they wear you down to a raw state, and build up on you to create a 'NIDA' actor, to SOME is a little disheartening. As far as I'm concerned, tutoring someone in the art of acting should be a process that welcomes a performer's own creativity and scope on acting. Some people in the industry (and I am definately not saying all...don't take this in the wrong perspective) find that NIDA actors are trained SO rigorously and in a strict fashion, that the actor loses their talent, as if they are trained to ignore their individuality that got them into NIDA.

Teaching acting should be about fostering someones talent and encouraging it. Not dictating this is right and this is wrong.

Nevertheless, I'll probably end up working for them one day. Their practices aren't any skin off my nose. I just don't agree with them.

Do I find acting rewarding? Of course I do. There is no better feeling than being onstage and having the ability express yourself through something you are passionate about. The adrenaline is a big thing but also the development of the actor's craft is interesting for me.

a tertiary education center which demands perfection and will send you into the workforce in a job that has a very high unemployment rate.
Yep. Yep and Yep.

P.S If you don't know what NIDA is God help you
Knowing about NIDA is now a must is it? *rolls eyes*

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Titles are the new black...

I also intend on going to NIDA in the future...

just a couple of questions...

i've read that they only accept applicants over 18 - yet i've heard of ppl getting in as young as 16....is this true?

I've also been told that they wont take people with limited "life experience"...true....false....?

And if i was looking to get into NIDA - would you recommend doing NIDA short courses or workshops first?

And ANY other Info on NIDA, ACTT or other Theatre related institutions would be the height of awesomeness... :cool:

=peaceout=

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
Skillo said:
Teaching acting should be about fostering someones talent and encouraging it. Not dictating this is right and this is wrong.

gosh.. dont you sound like a smart cookie who knows alot!lol.
i dont exactly know much about the 'process' that does on in NIDA, but i absolutely agree with what your saying.(quote from above).

when i used thw word 'discouraging' i was actually referring to just normal kids you end up meeting in real life, face to face. you see how beautiful, smart AND talented they are... and it just makes you wonder....
but i also agree that what your saying about the whole transforming you into a "NIDA actor" thing would also be disheartening.

ha.makes you think though. those of us who dont really know much about what goes on in NIDA are made to believe its this place where 'dreams are made'... the ultimate goal for any individual wanting to be in the showbiz...(i know im exaggerating!!)... its the place to be!... then you tell us that many say the
actors are trained SO rigorously and in a strict fashion, that the actor loses their talent, as if they are trained to ignore their individuality that got them into NIDA.
ahhh.... reality bashes you in the noogen yet again!

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
Hey Fire Hydra. I'm not a NIDA aficionado however I'm going to try and answer these questions for you...however...ask older ppl in the industry...lots of them and you'll be able to make your own conclusions!!! :)

Some of my answers also apply to the VCA or Victorian College of the Arts...in my opinion, a better place to go.
Fire_Hydra said:
just a couple of questions...

i've read that they only accept applicants over 18 - yet i've heard of ppl getting in as young as 16....is this true? Yeah. They have a tendicy to accept people who are over 18. The youngest successful applicant in the last four years was Jody Kennedy I think. She got into NIDA straight out of school. Graduated at the age of 22 or something along those lines. Back in the days when NIDA was in the Kensington (??) racecourse and it wasn't so well known, they did accept people under the age of 18. Robin Nevin (STC) was accepted at the age of 16 but that was in 1960ish.

I've also been told that they wont take people with limited "life experience"...true....false....?True. Lots of drama schools like to see people with the maturity to undertake the course. Of course, we aren't able to judge our own level of maturity...its a purely subjective part of the audition process. Applicants who have traveled, experience in more than two/three theatre groups or classes...

And if i was looking to get into NIDA - would you recommend doing NIDA short courses or workshops first?I wouldn't. But that is me. I'd reccommend doing courses for a variety of places. If you have the money. A good way of showing that you are committed to your craft is through volunteering.

And ANY other Info on NIDA, ACTT or other Theatre related institutions would be the height of awesomeness... :cool: There is a thread in this forum about links for Careers in Theatre...might take a bit of looking but there are some good ones there.

=peaceout=You too!
gosh.. dont you sound like a smart cookie who knows alot!lol.
No. Just years and years of research...lol

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Skillo said:
Yes. It was a harsh blow (have to admit I was in a blunt mood) but now that I'm a little wiser about what I'm going into, I stand by what I said. I've been talking to people in the industry and a degree (teritary) from NIDA is an excellent reference to your 'skill'. However, over the last 3 or so years, people have been questioning the teaching practices of NIDA. The concept that they wear you down to a raw state, and build up on you to create a 'NIDA' actor, to SOME is a little disheartening. As far as I'm concerned, tutoring someone in the art of acting should be a process that welcomes a performer's own creativity and scope on acting. Some people in the industry (and I am definately not saying all...don't take this in the wrong perspective) find that NIDA actors are trained SO rigorously and in a strict fashion, that the actor loses their talent, as if they are trained to ignore their individuality that got them into NIDA.

Nevertheless, I'll probably end up working for them one day. Their practices aren't any skin off my nose. I just don't agree with them.

Do I find acting rewarding? Of course I do. There is no better feeling than being onstage and having the ability express yourself through something you are passionate about. The adrenaline is a big thing but also the development of the actor's craft is interesting for me.

Yep. Yep and Yep.

Knowing about NIDA is now a must is it? *rolls eyes*
There just using the "method." All drama schools are teach the "Stanislavsky meathod." Its about breaking down what the actor has learned and re-building it to what they'll get hired for. You don't want NIDA graduates to be starving artists.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
I agree that they are using elements of 'Stan the Man's' theories however in comparison to other drama schools I've visited (one being VCA which is on par with NIDA), NIDA's is a much more strict regime.
Lol. I have to say that yeah, starving actors is not promising but either is starving a performer from the creative flair. :D

I dunno about everyone else but to me, the ability of an actor is their own individuality/originality/uniqueness on stage/film/screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)