Summer "Vacation" (1 Viewer)

ikabod

HSC
N/A
So I figured I'd start a thread to get everyone's reflections on what for many of us has been the first week of an internship (in assorted fields)...

- Is it what you expected?...are you enjoying it?...what do you like/dislike? etc etc etc.

I've started in Investment Banking and am loving it - the people are fantastic, and while the work as an intern is remedial you certainly learn alot from being emersed in the environment.

However....the rumours about the hours are true...IB is not for anyone who values sleep - or even seeing the sun occasionally. My skin is getting so white it's almost reflective!

The floor is open - share your experiences :)

As for me...I'm of to :sleep:

Merry Xmas!!!

turtleface

HSC
I'm currently interning at a Big 4.

I gotta say being paid 28 p/h to undertake computer training, browse the net and do some photocopying is a good deal, albeit a bit boring at times.

Unfortunately the problem is even the most basic work is too complicated for any vacationer to be able to do to any acceptable standard

I guess vac is still a good experience just to get the exposure and to get a feel for the "vibe" of the firm etc.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Dunno about you guys, but at the client I'm at, I get our vaccy to do basic audit work, talk to the client's accountants etc

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm also under the impression we're supposed to make use of the vacationers :p But then, that post about surfing the net- I suspect it's because they're doing their induction training? I still remember the sexual harrassment videos... lol

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
ikabod said:
So I figured I'd start a thread to get everyone's reflections on what for many of us has been the first week of an internship (in assorted fields)...

- Is it what you expected?...are you enjoying it?...what do you like/dislike? etc etc etc.

I've started in Investment Banking and am loving it - the people are fantastic, and while the work as an intern is remedial you certainly learn alot from being emersed in the environment.

However....the rumours about the hours are true...IB is not for anyone who values sleep - or even seeing the sun occasionally. My skin is getting so white it's almost reflective!

The floor is open - share your experiences :)

As for me...I'm of to :sleep:

Merry Xmas!!!
It's not that bad. The day's pretty relaxed - just repetitive work. I don't know how many times I've checked a document before handing it up. I would have loved to do something serious like trading. Then again, the intern traders probably dont get to trade.

lizbon

HSC
my first day at a client was pretty much spent at the photocopier...fun

omnidragon's right, the problem is the work at this level is very repetitive and hence very boring, you love to be equipped technically to do more but it's just not possible.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
At least you get to see what working at the firm/company is like- this way when you go to apply for a grad spot later on, you can say you know what to expect.

turtleface

HSC
I loved photocopy duties

Its dream work compared to stuff like reconciling like 5,000 accounts using a mapping schedule spreadsheet thats like 10,000 entries long to another spreadsheet thats like 8000 lines long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)