• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Supplementary texts question (1 Viewer)

Ettin

Does anyone know if any of the Terry Pratchett novels Men At Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Truth and Night Watch can be used as crime fiction? They seem to have the elements of the genre to me, and I have used some of those texts successfully in assignments given about crime fiction, but when I used one of them in my trial paper the teacher marking it (who, admittedly, hadn't read it) didn't think so and my mark got hurt for that. I was wondering if anyone knows if I could get away with using any of those texts in the actual HSC...

Jezzabelle

the whole point of the module is that we are studying genre. and the problem with that, is who defines genre? Is it the composers, the public or the theorists(/analysists/critics) ??
Genre is an attempt to seperate the textual world into labels and naming these labels. but its problematic as it is not a neutral nor subjective process, it can be too broad or to narrow and there are NO DISTINCT RULES for what excludes or includes a text into a genre. Features belonging to the texts of one genre might not be limited to that genre, additionally genre goes through a biological process of mirco evolution and thus there are many subversions and texts of 'mixed genre'.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
it means you have the freedom to define wat Crime Fiction genre means to you and if your text fits into your definition then you are ultimetly right and cant be contested.

:) thanks for listening to my rant
PS: since your Terry Pratchett novels/shows are about crime..
"Crime was always with us, he reasoned, and therefore, if you were going to have crime, it at least should be organized crime."
-------Terry Pratchett, (Guards! Guards!)
they are broadly fitting into anyones description of crime genre i would think...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)