• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

survey (1 Viewer)

Someguy123

Hey if u could complete the survey below for english ( yeah i k now i was like wtf myself, it will be greatly appreciated. In short i had to pick two texts and survey people about their veiws in realtion to the texts, and compare and contrast them to my own views and ideas. ( so its like a comparative study in a way)

Have u

a) watched the the movie AMERICAN BEAUTY
b) read the novel THE GREAT GATSBY or
c) both of the above
d) neither ( stop survey here)

THEME: I have choosen to study the two texts in relation to THE common theme found within them both of the AMERICAN DREAM ( ie striving for money and the perfect lifestyle)

How do u personally feel the text relates to my choosen theme above? ( ie provide examples were u think it is shown, say what you think) In realtion to characters, language and context. An example could be caroline in american beauty striving to obatin the american dream through her job.

Even if u dont understand could u plz write something as i need as many differnt views to compare and contrast with as possible!
thanks!

Jennibeans

HSC
B) Read the Great Gatsby

the whole story is based upon this man gatsby whose purpose in life was to rise above his impoverished childhood make money and appear to be good enough for daisy. He made money by illegal means (ie alcohol trade at a time when that was illegal) held these elaborate parties which he himself didn't even attend lived in a magnificent house wore silk shirts and all for the appearance and status. The american dream was not necessarily to have a lot of money/possessions but just to look like you did You can see that in the way Myrtle and her husband whose name ive forgotten are looked down upon because they live in the Valley. The Valley itself exhibits the class structure that was still evident in America at the time.

I suppose the novel in a way says that the American dream is a soapbubble. Everyone in the novel apart from Nick lived in a fantasy world none of them were in touch with reality daisy and tom were in a loveless marriage telling us money cant buy happiness yet people still pursued the money. gatsby for all his effort in trying to raise his status (e.g. etiquette lessons etc) ends up dead.

thats all i can come up with off the top of my head hope it helps
~Jen~

olay

HSC
do u still need this? ermm, my answer is 'a.'

i would answer the second part to your question but its been a while since i've seen it [i have it on dvd though...i should watch it again some time!], and i don't want to stuff up your thingy. :) but good luck with it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)