• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sushi left on display is poisoning diners... (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
my concern coz i eat that stuff a lot:
Sushi left on display for too long is poisoning diners
By Daniel Dasey Consumer Reporter
June 26, 2005
The Sun-Herald

Food authorities have commissioned research into how long sushi can be kept on display before spoiling after an explosion in the popularity of the dish and a number of suspected poisonings.

With the Victorian Government introducing health amendments that spell out safe display times for the booming Japanese cuisine, the NSW Food Authority said last week a university team would look at establishing similar guidelines in this state.

In Victoria, testing found that sushi kept on display at 15 degrees for more than eight hours ran the risk of becoming toxic. There was an even clearer risk after 12 hours.

Toxic limits were also established for other increasingly popular Asian foods, such as Chinese barbecue pork and duck.

But while there have been about 10 reports to NSW food authorities of suspected sushi poisoning in the past year, it is believed the cuisine may be more resistant to spoilage than many others because of its high vinegar content.

The director of food safety programs at the NSW Food Authority, Peter Sutherland, said it was important to better understand the issues associated with sushi because it had become very popular.

"Over the past 10 or 15 years it's gone from practically nothing to a common lunchtime meal for people, especially in the city," he said.

"In the past five or six years there's been an explosion in food courts and in sushi trains."

General guidelines for food sold commercially in NSW state that sushi must be thrown out if displayed unrefrigerated for more than four hours.

Victorian researchers found sushi retailers were regularly breaching that limit by displaying unrefrigerated sushi for longer periods.

However, the high pH level in the food, caused by its vinegar content, seemed to slow the growth of microbes.

Nonetheless, investigators found sushi pieces left on display at a temperature of 15 degrees somewhere between eight and 12 hours harboured increased microbe levels.

Nori rolls were considered safe for up to 12 hours at that temperature.

Mr Sutherland said food scientists at the University of NSW would conduct similar research in NSW.

He said given the huge amount of the food consumed, cases of reported poisonings were low.

The Victorian research also established that Chinese duck and chicken could be left on display at room temperature for up to 22 hours, while pork could be left on display for up to seven hours before developing potentially dangerous microbe levels.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I can't stand sushi

it's the smell.... I feel... saturated by it, and everytime I do I feel that I have somehow become infected by it - its disgusting!

;)

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
we have a few sushi places in penrith

one like 2 mintues walk from school

but im lucky, i will never get sushi poisoning, i hate sushi....

and i have trid it....

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I can't stand sushi

it's the smell.... I feel... saturated by it, and everytime I do I feel that I have somehow become infected by it - its disgusting!

;)
same!

everytime i walk past that sushi place, it makes me feel sick...

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
you guys are crazy!

sushi is delicious. :D
but yeah, i've heard about that poison thing. now i only eat sushi when i'm in a japanese restaurant and they make them fresh.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:

;)
dear, i don't think you're supposed to smell the fishy smell. that's what cleansing with ginger (which i don't do) and the wasabi is for.

i think sushi is about the texture and the taste. the texture of raw topping (sashimi, wakame, or scallop) is nice. the slight sweet/sourness of the rice is supposed to bring out the flavour.

i just dun wanna end up with a case of food poisoning after sushi though. the golden rule is that sushi should be made fresh and should never be refrigerated (it hardens the rice and makes it yucky). so yeah :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
dear, i don't think you're supposed to smell the fishy smell. that's what cleansing with ginger (which i don't do) and the wasabi is for.

i think sushi is about the texture and the taste. the texture of raw topping (sashimi, wakame, or scallop) is nice. the slight sweet/sourness of the rice is supposed to bring out the flavour.

i just dun wanna end up with a case of food poisoning after sushi though. the golden rule is that sushi should be made fresh and should never be refrigerated (it hardens the rice and makes it yucky). so yeah :p
not a matrix fan I take it :p

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah but you can tell which places have fresh sushi and which don't. the massive sushi train on pitt st has the most fantastic fresh takeaway rolls ive ever had.. (now that its under new management) and theres a new sushi place in the lower ground level of the qvb which is quite fresh too. there are definitely some gross places that leave it sitting there for days tho

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
it's the smell.... I feel... saturated by it, and everytime I do I feel that I have somehow become infected by it - its disgusting
Agent Smith: It's the smell... I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink. And every time I do, I fear that I have somehow been infected by it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Agent Smith: It's the smell... I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink. And every time I do, I fear that I have somehow been infected by it.
you know i can't read between the lines brent :p

and besides, there's no point giving me your contracts notes after i turn 21, considering errr, i have contracts like on tuesdy. dun worri i should be fine :p

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
miss_gtr said:
oh sushi tastes nice, i use to hate it before i tried it..! the one in penrith plaza near the toilets entrance is nice.
yeah their sushi is good. :) i dont eat it often now though.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
and besides, there's no point giving me your contracts notes after i turn 21, considering errr, i have contracts like on tuesdy. dun worri i should be fine :p
That's the idea :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
can i have your contract notes?
but you haven't done your hsc. hush dear, stop being such an overenthusiastic proto-law student. :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
ok, and who can i make this cheque out for?
Call me skeptical, but I think I'll only be taking cash :)

tax minimisation, you know how it is

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
The media has launched an all out ttack on everything East-Asian. First hunting whales is bad, now this. Give them a break.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)