sutton and boveri (1 Viewer)

i cant think

dose anyone else have problems remembering sutton and boveri and what the hell they did ? and if u can remember please tell me how u do it

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
the dot point only says to outline the importance of their findings. it's good to know how they did their experiments but most importantly the impact they had.

i haven't revised this point well but i can vaguely remember that one studied the testes of a grasshopper and one studied sea urchins. it works to draw pictures next to the names in your notes so in the exam it'll be easy to recall.

s2ophie

HSC
Sutton and Boveri are the founders of the chromosomal theory of inheritance

Nezz

HSC
For some wierd reason, i remember that sutton studied grasshopper testis, purely because the letter t is in his name (i.e t for testis) i know that sounds kinda weird but it hasnt failed yet! :)

Also, just remember sutton had more findings than boveri, so if you can remember most of their findings, just try to remember which one is boveri's (complete set for normal development) and you should be able to figure it out that way.

As the others have said though, just make sure you can remember their roles in identifying the importance of chromosomes, mainly theory of inhertitance and they provided hypothesis for mendels experiment.

hope it helps!!!

ReaveR

HSC
Jacaranda says something stupid like Sutton not doing any experiments at all and linking experimental data from other scientists to conclusions to form the Chromosomal theory of Inheritance...

Leap

free falling
HSC
Sutton and Boveri studied a chromosomal theory of inheritence suggesting that genes were carried on chromosomes.
They worked with mendel's theories of 'traits' but called them genes.
There was something about sea urchins in there too...and fruit flies? I'm not sure.

Nezz

HSC
fruit flies was to do with sex linkage and morgan (red/white eye colour in the drosophila fruit fly... the gene for white-eye colour in the drosophila fruit fly is part of the x-chromosome)

jims

HSC
can some1 tell me what sutton did with those grasshopper testies?

i know that he systhesised the work of other scientists and came to the hypothesis that the chromosomes were the carriers of Mendel's 'factors' without actually doing any experiments himself.

ReaveR

HSC
Hahah thats straight out of Jacaranda.

Where's babydoll_ when you need her, eh? =p

jims

HSC
lol of course. its the only textbook i have.
anyway, heres something else:
-sutton observed meiosis in grasshoppers
-saw the pairing of homologus pairs
-these then separated with one member going into each daughter cell
-assuming that one was paternally and the other maternally derived, these chromosomes fulfilled the behaviour of Mendel's factors.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
yeah jims has got that part right... boveri linked genes to chromosomes

together they formed the chromosomal theory of inheritance, they also formed the theory that each chromosome carries many genes

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ReaveR
Hahah thats straight out of Jacaranda.

Where's babydoll_ when you need her, eh? =p
capped. :) sorry
anyway, yes jims is right :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)